• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Questions about the 1998 28TE?

oceanluv30
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Questions about the 1998 28TE?

Post by oceanluv30 »

I am in the market for a 28TE and came across a 1998 version. I have just begun my search and trying to learn as much about the model as possible. This particular model is having, as I write this a new Peninsular motor installed. I have done a search on the site and have found some information. Can anyone comment on this years model? Any issues that are particular to this year, 1998? Things to pay particular attention to when inspecting? Comments on the new motor? Pro or con? After my inspection, if I am interested in making an offer I will no doubt have a qualified marine survey.

thanks in advance...
oceanluv30
Deckhand
Deckhand

Re: Questions about the 1998 28TE?

Post by oceanluv30 »

Bump...no comments?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

If this is the boat listed on Craig's list it sounds very interesting, especially for the price. I had a 97 with a Cummins engine that I was very happy with but sold it up North and purchased my present 05 model down here. I wanted the flush deck because I mainly use it for fishing. If you search this site for Peninsular motor you will find numerous accounts of owners completely satisfied with their motors. In addition the builder is very helpful if contacted by phone. It seems mainly hearsay that calls these engines into question.
Around the year 2000 Albin switched from balsa core to Airex in the hull but the balsa has never been a problem unless someone drills a hole and does not use proper sealing. Also they increased the sound insulation about this time. My Cummins in the 97 model was very loud and there was no partition between the engine and the space under the helm. The Peninsular is supposed to be quieter than the Cummins but louder than a Yanmar. You can see what you think on a sea trial.
Besides the new engine the listed boat has good electronics and even a Reverso oil change system. I think it is well worth looking at.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

oceanluv30 wrote:I am in the market for a 28TE and came across a 1998 version. I have just begun my search and trying to learn as much about the model as possible. This particular model is having, as I write this a new Peninsular motor installed. I have done a search on the site and have found some information. Can anyone comment on this years model? Any issues that are particular to this year, 1998? Things to pay particular attention to when inspecting? Comments on the new motor? Pro or con? After my inspection, if I am interested in making an offer I will no doubt have a qualified marine survey.

thanks in advance...
Gotta give us a bit of time to respond;). Lol.
I have a 98 and absolutely love it, really except for a core materiel change in 01, all the engine box models are pretty much the same, no specific issues with that particular year. Make sure to have a moisture check on the coring, but that's true with ANY balsa cored boat. Both materials (foam and balsa) have their pros and cons. Is it a new motor or are they rebuilding the old one? I can tell you that a new long block is a good thing. The motor will now have a forged crank as well as other upgrades. I just finished putting a new peninsular in my 98, if you need any specifics I'd be happy to help out. Each boat is slightly different as to setup and options as these were sorta semi custom rather than cookie cutter boats.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
oceanluv30
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by oceanluv30 »

Jeremyvmd wrote:
oceanluv30 wrote:I am in the market for a 28TE and came across a 1998 version. I have just begun my search and trying to learn as much about the model as possible. This particular model is having, as I write this a new Peninsular motor installed. I have done a search on the site and have found some information. Can anyone comment on this years model? Any issues that are particular to this year, 1998? Things to pay particular attention to when inspecting? Comments on the new motor? Pro or con? After my inspection, if I am interested in making an offer I will no doubt have a qualified marine survey.

thanks in advance...
Gotta give us a bit of time to respond;). Lol.
I have a 98 and absolutely love it, really except for a core materiel change in 01, all the engine box models are pretty much the same, no specific issues with that particular year. Make sure to have a moisture check on the coring, but that's true with ANY balsa cored boat. Both materials (foam and balsa) have their pros and cons. Is it a new motor or are they rebuilding the old one? I can tell you that a new long block is a good thing. The motor will now have a forged crank as well as other upgrades. I just finished putting a new peninsular in my 98, if you need any specifics I'd be happy to help out. Each boat is slightly different as to setup and options as these were sorta semi custom rather than cookie cutter boats.
Thanks guys for the response. It is to the best of my knowledge a new motor. I live in Stuart so it is just in my backyard, which as I told my wife must mean it was 'meant to be'. She did not buy into that logic :lol:
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

oceanluv30 wrote:Bump...no comments?
:lol:

I think you'll find the pace around here is just a tad slower than some of the big forums. But we make up for it in quality and camaraderie! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea the new internals are better than the 98 spec, and the diamond blocks are much better and beefier than the blocks gm was putting out in the late 90s. I was happy with my previous motor that had no right running as well as it did, but for the little I ran this one before we needed to do other work on it (insurance issue) the new motor rocked out!
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Jeremy, What the heck happened to the new engine? I know you had mentioned an insurance issue. Pete
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

New motor is great. Insurance issue is with the shaft and getting them to pay out
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Glad the motor is good to go, I'm sure your planning lots of trips this year,,,,
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Post by Neil »

We have a 97 and it took me a while to learn the list to the starboard side at the dock was common to that year. Not sure if yours will have that, but its not a symptom of a bigger problem on ours. We ended up replacing all the sea cocks,and rebuilding the Fuel injector pump. And replaced the bow thruster. Its all what I would call routine maintenance on a 20 yr old boat. We love our boat, and I love our peninsular. The guys at the company give great support when you need it. I am jealous of the new engine!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”