• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Muffler help please!! 28 te

Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Muffler help please!! 28 te

Post by Neil »

Im trying to buy a new muffler for our 97 28 te.
I started at defender, they sent me to centek. The muffler im replacing is 5" in and out. I checked with penninsular and they said it should be 6" in and out of the muffler..... is tgat right???? Or did i catch them before coffee. Who has a 28 te, please measure your mufflers for me?! Im confused. Centek even said they made a previous muffler for Albins that was 5".........or was the muffler thats on our put on in error.....
Thank you in advance!
Neil
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Muffler help please!! 28 te

Post by Jeremyvmd »

My '98 28te with a peninsular is a 6" in and out. I know cuz I just put new 6" exhaust hose on this summer and it fit perfectly!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

And yours has a peninsular engine?
Ours is the 6.5 liter 310 hp. Im surprised because the exhaust elbow that this is coming off of( turbo)is 5".
Does everyone else have 6"?
I would feel like a dunce if this was the reason she was running hot at high rpms. Ive been chasing the problem through the cooling system.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yup both the original motor and replacement are both peninsulars. The original was a 300 the new one was 310. They do make exhaust elbows in both 5 and 6" for the turbo peninsular motors. Im a firm believer in biggest exhaust possible for turbo diesels
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Ours is the 310 and it comes stock with a 90 degree fitting off the turbo that is 5". Talked with Mitch at peninsular to verify, he says yes it's 5" before and after the muffler but I should change to a 6" muffler. Why? I don't know. He said back pressure, but in my puny brain that would have more to do with the overall volume of the muffler than the in and out flange size.... especially because it's choked on either side of the muffler. BUT, I am no expert so, I will take his good advice. I am still curious to hear what other boats with the same engine have. I'm guessing there are several different configurations running out there.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Honestly what is the condition of the exhaust hose and elbow? My elbow was pretty scary so I replaced it with the motor and did the exhaust hose at the same time (easier with motor and tank out). If yours are questionable I would just upgrade to the 6" system. Might need a neck right at the end for the through hull but there is a chance that is already 6".
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

I spoke to a friend with an Albin 28 te two years older than ours and learned his fish boxes don't lift out of the floor.
That would make this job a nightmare. I can get in there and see in ours. The factory installed fiberglass pipe that runs the length of the boat to the exhaust discharge is only 4"...... so I'm coming off the turbo at five, going up to six at the muffler, back down to five, and ending up at four......The muffler has to be replaced, so I'm going with the larger size because it can't hurt, but the layout stills seems kookoo.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

That's really odd. Mine is a 6" rubber hose starting at the motor going to a 45 the rubber then a 90 then more rubber hose then muffler, more 6" rubber hose then the through hull fitting. No fiberglass tube running the length, just fiberglass 45 and 90 elbows. If your down my way your welcome to look at my setup
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Neil -

Since it sounds like you're planning to start from scratch, this would be a good time to read some of the articles in "Tony's Tips" on the Seaboard Marine website starting with "Everything you Need to Know About Marine Exhaust Systems"
http://www.sbmar.com/articles/everythin ... t-systems/

A good follow-up would be "Designing a Marine Exhaust System"
http://www.sbmar.com/articles/designing ... st-system/

The Community Forum on the Seaboard Marine site is a great place to go for help and none other than RobS from AOG participates and moderates on that site.

Over the years since buying my first diesel boat in 2004 I've learned an awful lot from Seaboard Marine including gaining direction for the recent redo in spring of 2016 of the exhaust on my 2006 31TE with a Cummins QSC 8.3. I sleep better now that my spillover has been raised from 9 inches to 15, the wet elbow drains and having the addition of a surge tube. :wink:

Before embarking on this project I highly recommend that you do some reading, educate yourself, ask questions and get it right the first time. By doing so, you'll increase the value of your boat and save yourself money in the long run. I look forward to see your project progress.
3.jpg
13 mockup.jpg
Refit II.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Pitou
Thanks for the links! I will do just that . Your exhaust pics were very interesting to this newbie, going to do more homework!
Neil

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”