• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE getting acquainted questions

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thruster

Post by RicM »

Hey, don't get me wrong! I LOVE my bow thruster! It's just a good idea to know how to handle your boat without it because it WILL break someday, just like everything else on a boat, just when you really need it. This is my first season with a 28TE and there was a fairly stiff learning curve coming from an I/O with a planing hull. I had read about prop walk and "back and fill" but it's hard to get your head around until you practise it a few times.
Curiously my wife hates the thruster, "It's too loud, everyone on the dock is looking at us". I tell her they are admiring her figure :).
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

When I see all the "gentlemen" using their bow thrusters on their Hinckley's in Newport, Nantucket and Edgartown, then I feel "quite gentlemenly" doing the same.

Please pass the Grey Poupon..........
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Terry Ober wrote:I am not sure why I keep reading here about not using the bow thruster. I am under the opinion that if you have a bow thruster than use it. There is a reason why most single engine builders install them. I am seeing them on twin screws more now also. Why risk your boat docking without it. They are extremely affective and easy to use. Once you are comfortable with the bow thruster start playing with the rudder throttle techniques mentioned. Using the bow thruster in combination with the ruder allows you to place your boat any place any time. I have had a stiff wind peg me onto a fuel dock more than once. Turn your rudder hard towards the dock hit the thruster same time you put it into forward gear and your boat pushes out a good foot from the dock without rubbing your railings. I back to port for my slip all the time. Plus the slip angles more to the port as you back in. Not a problem. It’s just a power rudder mounted on the other end of the boat. I would not be with out it.

Good boatmanship is getting full usefulness and potential out of your water craft.
Very true Terry

Also, If you don't use your bow thruster, you may risk the chance of it not working due to lack of use when you really need it.
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”