• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Faded blue hull fix

Wink
Deckhand
Deckhand

Faded blue hull fix

Post by Wink »

Has anyone in the Florida area used a product called Vivilon Classic Clear on a faded blue hull? The company is in Tampa Florida. Looks like it is easier to apply than clear coat and can be taken off without having to wet sand. It is not Poly Glow or ZEP floor finish according to the owner, but a one part poly finish.

Wink
2000 28TE 6LP
Freeport, Texas
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Faded blue hull fix

Post by DougSea »

No experience with this product. I DID use Poly Glow on our very faded 28 and I was pretty happy with the finish. Assuming this is similar I'd say it might be worth a shot. Poly Glow can be removed with their stripper product - no wet sanding needed there either. The wet sanding would really be to get your hull in shape first. As the Poly Glow instructions say - if there's dirt on your hull - it will now be shiny dirt. :) If you hit the hull with a hose and wet it you'll get a reasonable feel for how it will look.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape May, NJ

Post by taggteam »

I swear by Ardex products, and have used them exclusively for 5 years now. I've never used a better wax/polish. Their ocean polymer wax is hands down the best gelcoat product I've ever used. Goes on easily...and comes off equally as easily.

As well, last season I bought their variable grit compound/polish....the more aggressive you are, the more it "cuts". I took an abused 19ft Nautico hull that hadn't seen anything but rainwater in 10 years and made it shine like new with some elbow grease and a few passes of the buffer. As I'm writing, I realize I sound as if I have some sort of affiliation with the company..I do not. I have owned over 30 boats though....8 in the last 5 years..and currently have 4. That's a lot of gelcoat, kids. When I find something that works....I stick with it.

I'll be trying both the VG polish and wax on my 28 green hull in a week or so....but expect nothing but stellar results. I'll post some before and after's

https://www.ardexautomotiveandmarine.com/
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i've been using the poli glow to protect my blue hull for 5 years now. with collinite wax after hours of buffing i would show uv/white fading after a few months. the poli glow protects me for the entire new england season. the finish is great looking from a few feet away. up close imperfections show. very satisfactory to me considering the cost an awl-grip paint job.$$$. the 2002 vintage blue 28te still turns heads and just couple days work each spring.

too many other places for the boat budget cash.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I was going to poliglo my hull but the marina warned me against it. I'm still wondering if I should just do it
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Post by jaybap »

I just did 1 coat 3M super duty, 1 coats Mcguires cleaner wax, and last coat with mcguires flagship. Really brought back that deep blue gel coat with some great shine. Really happy.
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

don't know why any marina would advise against poli glow. works awesome, lasts a whole year great uv protection. just don't wax or compound it!

it does require its own cleaner/stripper to remove the product. not difficult, no fumes i completely strip mine each season
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

It's not just my marina. Read horror stories about the product online as well. They have had people use it then try and remove it and not be able to (goes along with what I read online) and had it look horrible. Seems like people are either thrilled with it or curse it's existence after using it.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

For a 17 year old gelcoat - I think mine comes up just fine. We spent four hours working the polish this year and I then applied collonite wax by hand. I'm in the water for 50 out of 52 weeks most years, this year was four days out of the water. Ok we don't have the Florida sun but we do see a wide range of conditions. Just get a good compound, lots of water and be sure to clean away all the polish residue before waxing - pressure wash if you need to because the polish will get in the pores of the gelcoat and accelerate blooming. The wax will only seal that in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

yup if you try to remove poli glow without the proper cleaner/stripper you will have horror stories. just like any improper use of any product. :lol:

stripping and cleaning is very simple with proper product.
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

Mine was really oxidized. Heres it now with the new name!
0957A84A-F790-4E39-A3BC-9EEE317286C2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

What you do to it?
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

See my other previous post
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Long day. Missed your other post! Thanks tho!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Got the hull finished up. Turned out better than last year but still not 100% thrilled. Used meguires boat and rv one step followed by meguires wax (forget the name. In the black bottle...not cheap).

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”