• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Swivel Rod Holders in Transom

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Swivel Rod Holders in Transom

Post by Pitou »

Thanks Max. I'm still gathering info for next year. This year I'm below deck with a new battery tray, reconfigure battery banks, add a second battery charger and replace the original aluminum Luthers water tank with a custom polypropylene water tank including baffles.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

gfuller wrote:When drilling the holes for the holders what did you use to seal them up after?
For the rod holders, you will encounter wood core material. After drilling out the rod holder hole, I like to remove maybe an 1/8" of the exposed core and fill with 3M Premium Filler or similar hull and deck filler then coat with polyester or epoxy resin. This way there is no way that any water will infiltrate the core. Always remember that you can apply epoxy over polyester, but never polyester over epoxy. Almost all boats are built using polyester resins. You can put an allen wrench that has been sharpened on a drill to scour the core out. Most guys just coat the core with resin to seal it. Your choice. I prefer over the top. For the fastener holes I over drill and fill with West System Six-10 2 part epoxy in a tube then re-drill to the proper screw or bolt size and counter sink the top of the hole to prevent the gel coat from cracking and really seal the top of the fastener by filling the counter sink when you apply sealant to install the rod holder. This process will prevent any water infiltration and protect the core. Cutting corners will only lead to trouble later on. Hope this helps.
3M Marine Premium Filler.jpg
Six10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by gfuller »

This is very valuable info, thank you!!!
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Not really related but when I replaced my transducer and cut away the coring (I used a bent nail with the head removed) I used the six10 thickened epoxy and it worked great. I also use high strength epoxy with micro bubbles and powdered fiberglass added if I need it really strong.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Not really related but when I replaced my transducer and cut away the coring (I used a bent nail with the head removed) I used the six10 thickened epoxy and it worked great. I also use high strength epoxy with micro bubbles and powdered fiberglass added if I need it really strong.
An allen wrench in a drill works very well for this too, they are very strong and the hex profile makes for an easy hold in the drill chuck.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Back to the rod holders. I have four as shown in the picture. I use the two outboard holders for round wooden pegs to hold a large fender when docked up against a bulkhead.
DSCN1377.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”