• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Swivel Rod Holders in Transom

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Swivel Rod Holders in Transom

Post by gfuller »

Hi All,

Just as the subjects says I'm looking to install some 0 degree swivel rod holders to be used with bent butt rods for shark & BFT fishing. Has anyone done this before? I'd like to mount them starboard (between the livewell and fish box) and port (to the right of the fish box). due to the amount of stress these will have to endure, a backing plate will be necessary. How does one access this area? I looked to see if the fish/storage box liner could be removed but it does not appear so. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Swivel Rod Holders in Transom

Post by Russell »

You will find this link of interest. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7221&hilit=rod+holders
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The link that Russell posted is a good read.

I added 0 degree swivel rod holders with backing plates in the exact locations for the type of fishing that you've indicated.

Starboard side .. a piece of cake. Port side without a transom shower box to remove for access it was a knuckle buster using ratchet extensions from below. To do it again port side, I'd consider cutting into the fishbox and making a fiberglass and gel-coat repair.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Wait now... I have the shower box port side so that seems really easy, how is the starboard side as easy or easier? where do you access it?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

gfuller wrote:Wait now... I have the shower box port side so that seems really easy, how is the starboard side as easy or easier? where do you access it?
gfuller wrote: I'd like to mount them starboard (between the livewell and fish box) How does one access this area? Thanks!
Starboard rod holder drops just inside of the fishbox:
Willoughby Gap 141.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

DSCN1237.JPG
On Serenity I mounted a rod holder left of live well, one between live well and fish box and the third to the right of the fish box,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Serenity wrote:On Serenity I mounted a rod holder left of live well, one between live well and fish box and the third to the right of the fish box,
After doing mine, I had always wanted to add numbers three and four in the aft corners like Serenity's starboard side. How was it adding that one with the fuel fill and vent lines all making their presence known for tight quarters or is your rod holder in the baitwell? Funny 4 years later after selling the 28 I just cant remember! :? Much easier access on the port corner with only the shore power inlet to remove before fishing rod/brush box and then plenty of access for backing plates.

G - Not sure how you're planning to fish these rod holders, but for BFT and shark fishing while chunking or with lives, the corners work best with a third one where I had the one by the baitwell and used for a cutting board. This one doesn't necessarily need to be a swivel. I mainly used my set-up focused on trolling for when we had the early & abundant small and medium BFT running and pretty much flat lined one and sent the other long. With the two stock rod holders up each side and if your fishing bait, it's not a bad idea to change out the forward ones for swivels and not necessarily 0 degree .. maybe 15's so that you can still troll them. The main reason to do this is for the times you're fishing with wind and tide working against each other and the baits are both wanting to go to one side of the boat. How are you planning to fish your boat? Happy to share my thoughts as I spent nine seasons fishing my 28 and added a lot of gear while running around Stellwagen, Jeffries & all the humps in between.
Pitou 28.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

The rod holder on the starboard side does go into the baitwell. Not a problem. I also mounted a rod holder on the port side aft next to the cleat. I didn't use any backing plates. The transom is over an inch thick which I thought was pretty heavy duty. There is a video on you tube about a 28 in Panama. This guy must have 12 or more rod holders set up. So if you are into fishing offshore in 6-8 foot, perhaps more, watch the video
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here is a link to the video of the Albin fishing in Panama. I look at it from time to time and am amazed at all the stuff he added to the boat but it seems to work quite well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFUFV8 ... e=youtu.be
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I just added rails and mounted my rod holders to that - different style of fishing over here though.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Serenity wrote:The rod holder on the starboard side does go into the baitwell. Not a problem. I also mounted a rod holder on the port side aft next to the cleat. I didn't use any backing plates. The transom is over an inch thick which I thought was pretty heavy duty. There is a video on you tube about a 28 in Panama. This guy must have 12 or more rod holders set up. So if you are into fishing offshore in 6-8 foot, perhaps more, watch the video
The backing plates are for fishing large palagics like giant BFT or blue marlin. Without them the rod holders would tear right out once the drag is set to fight a fish from the rod holder which is generally how it's done. We had a guy in a 42 ft. center console from Ft. Lauderdale come up to our marina 2 seasons ago with some borrowed gear and hooked up first time out. He had hooked into a giant and tore his new swivel rod holder without a backing plate right out. He had glass guys down making the repair 2 days later and added backing plates. He arrived last year with 6 swivel rod holders with backing plates and 4 new Shimano 130's and boated a couple of fish. This fishery literally has him "hooked"!

Nice video on that 28 in Panama .. can't believe that I hadn't seen it. That guy sure is rigged with rod holder set-ups for all different types of fishing. Sweet!

Hey Max - can you share some info on your wheelhouse seats? I'm still poking around and looking.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Wow, this is awesome info guys, thank you so much for taking the time to explain and share pics of your setups!

Kevin - The only thing I'm using the swivel rod holders around here for are occasionally shark (pretty fun stand up, so I'm not depending on rod holders for that) and BFT. As for the type of fishing... I want to troll like an animal when the tuna are up on the surface (ideally run some spreader bars etc...) and have around 10 lines out. I know it's quite a few but I think I can do it. Otherwise, yes, bait and sitting on a ball. I prefer trolling but it's not really feasible throughout the entire season. I plan on making at least a couple of trips to stellwagon this season. While I'm on the topic, how is navigating up the Merrimack? I have reservations for a few nights at Cove Marina. I'm aware that current rips through the river there.

I'm not sure how to access the starboard side through the fish box to mount a rod holder. The only thing I can think of is cutting out the livewell on the side (sort of how they did it with the fuel fill inlet). I'd love to NOT do this but it seems like it's the only way to get it done. Also, how does the water in there do with sloshing around and ending up in the hull? I notice the top of the live well is not sealed. Good tip with replacing the stock holders with 15 degree, I think I'll do that no matter what. Did you buy one that lined up with the existing mounting holes? I know a lot of these holders are custom.

Backing plates are 100% absolutely necessary for the type of fishing I intend on doing!

Max, Kevin, Tree your boats are beautiful!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

gfuller wrote:How is navigating up the Merrimack? I have reservations for a few nights at Cove Marina. I'm aware that current rips through the river there.
Anytime the Merrimack has seas/wind from the NE or east on the ebb it's normally pretty rough out there .. 6 to 10's at the mouth. :shock: Be careful and be thankful you're in an Albin!
gfuller wrote: I'm not sure how to access the starboard side through the fish box to mount a rod holder. The only thing I can think of is cutting out the livewell on the side (sort of how they did it with the fuel fill inlet). I'd love to NOT do this but it seems like it's the only way to get it done.
Don't cut your baitwell! There is a fishing rod storage box on each side of the cockpit and these are easily removed! If you have toe rails as in my picture they will have to be removed first. Been there , done that. Once you have them out and you contort your body and arms you'll be able to see and reach up an into the corners. Like Max had said the only place to put a rod holder in the starboard corner is by having it drop "into the baitwell". As I recall that is why I positioned mine on the gunnel in between the baitwell and the fishbox. On the port side you could get one in the corner where I circled by removing the fishing rod holder box insert as outlined in the picture below. Removing this would also make it a lot easier to add a third rod holder on each side by having it drop into the forward gunnel by the step. This location would give you that second chunking setup on each side.
28 TE.jpg
gfuller wrote:Also, how does the water in there do with sloshing around and ending up in the hull? I notice the top of the live well is not sealed. Good tip with replacing the stock holders with 15 degree, I think I'll do that no matter what. Did you buy one that lined up with the existing mounting holes? I know a lot of these holders are custom.
No issue with water sloshing around. I've never ended up with it on deck. The one improvement to make is to screen the overflow so that no baits find their way there. If they do, the through hull is smaller and they'll get stuck. It happened to me with a tinker mackerel and had to wait it out as it decomposed to the point I could blast it out with a hose .. lesson learned real quick on this one. :wink:

I left the stock rod holders and only added to the fray. I found the stock ones useful for stripers, blues, etc..

Looking forward to you posting up some pictures of your boat and your projects.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

DSCN1349.JPG
[attachment=0]DSCN1350.JPG[/attachmentKevin, the PO purchased Grady White Pompanette helm seats. They are expensive, $800-$1200 a piece. I recently had to order two pair of arms to replace the existing arms which wound up having black 5200 on them. Only $200 a pair. I have to admit the seats are comfortable.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Don't cut your baitwell! There is a fishing rod storage box on each side of the cockpit and these are easily removed! If you have toe rails as in my picture they will have to be removed first.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely add that to the list.

So I'll remove the port and starboard rod storage to install two swivels in the corners - check. How on earth did you get the one between the live well and the storage box? I assume this is for the cutting board and there are no backing plates? (sorry, I think you mentioned that previously).

When drilling the holes for the holders what did you use to seal them up after?

Thanks guys!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”