• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Introduction, Purchase and Delivery of Dogonit (now Isla)

Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Introduction, Purchase and Delivery of Dogonit (now Isla)

Post by Jaredh »

Hi,

My name is Jared. My fiancee (getting married June 3) and I just put a 2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck under contract a couple weeks ago, pending a good survey and sea trial this Friday she should be ours at the end of the month!

This website has been a great resource throughout the research and shopping phase so thank you to all who contribute. The boat we have under contract, Dogonit, has also been well documented on this site which was a huge plus for us.

We sold our 2002 Grady White Islander 270 at the end of last season after some weekend cruising, striper fishing, and tuna fishing in the gulf of Maine. We are looking forward to getting into a larger more seaworthy boat that is still towable.

I am sure I will have a ton of questions in the future, so wanted to provide a brief introduction. We have our fingers crossed for a quick melt after this noreaster and an early boating season.

After looking at a variety of Albin 28's from Key Largo up to Maine over the last 6 months we are excited to finally buy one.
Last edited by Jaredh on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Re: New Member Scarborough, Maine

Post by Marcy K »

Hi Jared,

Welcome aboard to an amazingly knowledgeable group. There are many A 28 Captains and crew here and a trove of information on just about any Albin subject. Good luck with your pending new vessel and marriage. Best wishes from Falmouth MA to Falmouth ME
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Congratulations on the boat. We look forward to your contributions to the board
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Jaredh wrote:Hi,

The boat we have under contract, Dogonit, has also been well documented on this site which was a huge plus for us.
.... we are excited to finally buy one.
Congratulations on the boat and welcome aboard!
You're buying a great vessel and from an AOG member who has been a valued contributor with his build photos and fix it tips and tricks. Is the boat in Portsmouth? If so, Ken Hilton at Standish Boat Yard is across the way if you need any service work. He knows these boats. I bought my 28 in Tiverton from Ken and brought her home down the Sakonnet River and home to Cape Ann. For your delivery home, you'll have time to enjoy and learn your boar for the upcoming coming summer on the Maine coast!
We have our fingers crossed for a quick melt after this noreaster and an early boating season.
It's fine in the mountains, but not on the coast .. especially with boat projects on the list!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Marcy K wrote:Hi Jared,

Welcome aboard to an amazingly knowledgeable group. There are many A 28 Captains and crew here and a trove of information on just about any Albin subject. Good luck with your pending new vessel and marriage. Best wishes from Falmouth MA to Falmouth ME
Thanks!
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Congratulations on the boat. We look forward to your contributions to the board
Thank you! We have our fingers crossed for an uneventful sea trial, survey, and closing.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Pitou wrote:

The boat we have under contract, Dogonit, has also been well documented on this site which was a huge plus for us.
.... we are excited to finally buy one.
Congratulations on the boat and welcome aboard!
You're buying a great vessel and from an AOG member who has been a valued contributor with his build photos and fix it tips and tricks. Is the boat in Portsmouth? If so, Ken Hilton at Standish Boat Yard is across the way if you need any service work. He knows these boats. I bought my 28 in Tiverton from Ken and brought her home down the Sakonnet River and home to Cape Ann. For your delivery home, you'll have time to enjoy and learn your boar for the upcoming coming summer on the Maine coast!
We have our fingers crossed for a quick melt after this noreaster and an early boating season.
It's fine in the mountains, but not on the coast .. especially with boat projects on the list!
The boat is at Standish Boat Yard, and Ken is the broker. We are going to have him do some preventative maintenance on the boat before the trip north. We are looking forward to the delivery trip. If only this damn snow would melt.

I have read a number of threads on your boat projects as well. We will be adding a SOLAS A raft this spring and likely having a radar mast made similar to what is on your boat.

We already have some projects planned, and I do enjoy documenting projects, so hopefully I can help contribute to this great resource.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

After a sea trial and survey today, Dogonit is now both surveyor and significant other approved (with some minor fixes). Chilly (water and air temp in the 30s) but fun day on the water in RI. Thank you to Ken and James Hilton for braving the chilly weather.

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Looks like a beautiful day on the water! Pilot house makes those runs easy. Lol. Boat looks really good!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

The pilot house sure makes things comfortable! Some of the spray today might have stung a bit.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Congra's on the boat and welcome. That is a happy face in the picture! Really fine boats. Just dropped out on a 36 et. It may be time to return to fishing with a 28te although I will never be happy after selling my former 35te Sportfiisher flybridge 2006. Enjoy the boat and the up coming summer.
Howard
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Congratulations and welcome aboard, Jared and SO/fiancee! The boat looks beautiful, and you're lucky to be working with Standish.

Coincidentally, we owned a 24' Grady Weekender in the 80's, and then spent 14 years with a 32' Trojan flybridge sedan. When downsizing in 2012, we were very happy to move into a 28TE. It's nearly a perfect boat.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Nancy wrote:Congratulations and welcome aboard, Jared and SO/fiancee! The boat looks beautiful, and you're lucky to be working with Standish.

Coincidentally, we owned a 24' Grady Weekender in the 80's, and then spent 14 years with a 32' Trojan flybridge sedan. When downsizing in 2012, we were very happy to move into a 28TE. It's nearly a perfect boat.
SO/Fiancée's name is Kayla, and her eye for boats led us to Albins as the best option after looking at henriques, Carolina classics, and Grady white marlins. I like fishing offshore and she wants to cruise while feeling secure and comfortable so it's the perfect vessel for us. We loved the Grady, but what boat other than an Albin has an interior with nicer woodwork than our home that I can take 60 miles offshore and chase bluefin tuna? It's certainly a compromise vessel that had us both grinning during the sea trial (possibly for different reasons).
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I'm pretty sure every boat is a compromise. :) Seaworthiness is at the top of my list, too, and the 28TE is incredible. I love having all my creature comforts - running water, endless *hot* water (up to 40 gallons anyway!), cold drinks - life is good! Can't wait for all this snow to melt. Shrink wrap usually comes off April 15-20.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Those sure are some smile'n eyes for your new boat!

You had a good team with the Hilton's, Jack and yourselves to put this one together. Wishing you all the best in all of your Albin boating endeavors. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”