• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

BOATLESS IN SEATTLE AGAIN!

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

BOATLESS IN SEATTLE AGAIN!

Post by whwells »

The 36 Express Trawler 2005 Sea Knoll closed today. New owner is Lauren of Ak. who will use it has a 6 Pack boat. He has some really great idea's for fishing off the large swim platform. This makes 3 boats purchases an sells since 2010 when Nibbles a 35te Sportfisher 2006 was my first Albin. Have said before the sale of that jewel was my biggest mistake. The 42' Flattery Sabre 42' 2006 was a fine boat but expensive. Thought the 36 Express Trawler would do the trick. However, I found the very small head and shower and tight salon with the up galley was not working well when the family went along.
What now? Seems I have done the Ablin line except the NSC. Were there a really nice one on the west coast it would be a serious consideration. However, Nibbles from Toronto, Canada and Sea Know from Rhode Island were both nightmares to ship as flybridge models.
So no NSC from the east coast. Something will show up out west that works. Need to get it right this time around.
This time around will be a trawler maybe a Selene, Ocean Alexander or Nordhavn. The goal is 2 heads an 2 staterooms without destroying the budget. In the meantime if an Albin 35te Sportfisher Flybridge comes up I will compromise all the space of a Trawler and return to fishing.
Howard
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: BOATLESS IN SEATTLE AGAIN!

Post by Jeremyvmd »

What!? After all you went through! Good luck in the search!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Thanks, Jeremyvmd. Really crazy to move so soon. Made the mistake of buying the 36et without flying back to see it personally.
It just was not right for us. Thankfully the buyer treated me right. Did not get out without a loss but it went well. Got back all my purchase price and most of the horrible shipping costs. Did some improvements and reinstall costs that never comes back to a seller. I am glad it has found a happy home with another AOG Member.
Howard
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Ohmigosh, Howard, ditto to what Jeremy said! I didn't even realize that your boat was on the market! Sounds like it turned out well, though. After all, the time to sell the horse is when the man wants to buy. At least that's what my dad always said.

Onward! Half the fun is boat shopping.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Thanks Nancy: It would be nice to stay with an Albin. Was not smart enough to realize how much the beloved Nibbles the 35te Sportfisher meant to me until it was gone. Very few were made with the flybridge so unlikely another will crop up but you never know. All this change is costly under the best of circumstances so have to get it right this time.
Actually the boat was not for sale. There was an inquiry on this site an AK. AOG Member to which I responded with no real intent to move on. However, on learning he was really serious it just seemed like the right thing to do.
Howard
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I hear you, Howard. You were wise to sell it when the opportunity came up. It's a lot easier to buy boats than to sell them!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Holy smokes Howard! Onward and all my best.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Howard,

I am so sorry to read your post but not totally surprised. You've expressed your regret at sellng "Nibbles" in a couple of more recent posts. I also noticed that there haven't been any posts about adventures in your 36 Express, now we know why. Are you in touch with "Nibbles" new owner? I can't remember where she went, maybe she will come back to you In any event, I wish you good luck in your search. Boats often have a way of finding the right crew!
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Marcy K: Nibbles went to Long Beach, Ca. Yes, I spoke with the owner a few times before Sea Knoll. He expressed an interests in moving to a larger boat. Two things were a serious concern. It has been outside since the purchase. The exterior has changed greatly and all the soft materials were a mess as well as side pieces. He has used it hard for fishing and it seems to show. it might well clean up and with 10,000 -15,000 in soft fabrics make a come back. Funny is price was way beyond what it sold for and the costs to take apart and bring back to the NW would be 35,000. Memories are not worth that costs.
Would very much like to stay with the Albin's but really there is not much left except the NSC. There are none out west that have their known problem solved that are on the market.
One of the PNW members just purchased one from So. Cal. and it maybe the last out west in good condition. Likely, I will miss a season looking and doing my best to get it right this time.

Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Kevin: Thanks, heard similar remarks out west. Again & Again they said! However, as I said it was not my i intent to sale at least this season. Lauren just came out of the woodwork or the far far NW. Howard
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Maybe something will crawl out of the woodwork in your favor! Surely there is something in decent shape in the Puget Sound. My neighbor who has more boats and houses than God ever intended is having a new welded aluminum one built for him by an outfit in Tacoma. He may be getting rid of the old POS (rhymes with 'fleece of spit') which looks practically new to my A25 attuned vision. But not your type. Twin outboards, all set up for salmon and halibut fishing, crabbing and shrimping. Downriggers, rod holders, pot pullers, the whole shebang. The reasoning is that the wife wants a nicer cabin for San Juan cruising, so, clearly, he needs a new boat. He built a huge waist high deck that hangs over the transom out of Starboard. It's for cleaning fish, baiting traps, etc. with dual 4" drains and gutters and washdown hoses that keeps almost all of it out of the boat. All with simple demountable attachment so they can go couple cruising.

Anyway, I am sorry for your last experience, except for the lesson learned. I get tired of 'learning' but as they say, it beats the alternative.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Howard - Sorry to hear you're boatless! And it's a pity Nibbles has been overworked. These things happen.

Best of luck as you pursue your next boat!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Willie C: Thanks for the thoughts. Would like to stay with an Albin. The only one that has been to my liking so far was the 35te Flybridge Sportfisher. Nice cruiser and fishing boat which is rare.
Thinking of a 28te for local fishing in No. Cal. and giving up the long haul to Puget Sound. It is two hard days each way. Part of the decision will be the boat that next comes up that may work. If it is a cruiser it needs to be big enough for taking up my son and daughter in law. If just a friend and fishing another 35te would be great.
The chance of finding a 35te Sportfisher flybridge is remote. The costs to bring one out from the NE is terrible. Probably 10,000. to 12,500.
to take it off and build a crate for hauling and similar number more like 15,000 to put it back together out west. If it landed in Richmond,BC
it might be a bit less as the dollar is good there now.
Shipping will be 20,000 to 25,000. That is a heavy number after the purchase price.
Howard
ALGIDDINGS
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: LOCH LOMOND MARINA SAN RAFAEL CALIFORNIA

Post by ALGIDDINGS »

HI HOWARD........FYI.I HAVE MADE AN AFFER ON YOUR BEAUTIFUL OLD ALBIN 36 TE.....LOVE TO CHAT WITH YOU ABOUT THE BOAT..............BEST AL
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Algiddings: Just saw your post. Well it is a fine boat and lots of improvements since my ownership.
Will be happy to speak with you about the boat. Congra's or your decision. Send me a PM with your phone number and we can talk.

Howard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”