• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windlass wiring TE 31

windward
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lunenburg Nova Scotia

Windlass wiring TE 31

Post by windward »

Installing a first time Lewmar Pro 1000 on my 2002 TE 31 Windward.
I see the pre-wiring in the stbd. bow locker. Red and Black #4 AWG along with large Green ground and 3 control wires.
Can anyone tell me where they are coiled or terminated aft? I loose track of them going behind the shower at the hull/deck joint level.

Once the windlass is mounted I will need cleats for my mooring bridles. Are there any positions that work well? Any pictures?

I also have a coil of wires inside my console. I thought they were for the windlass till I looked carefully at colours. One #8 black wire and 5 or 6 other wires of different colours. Pre-wiring for what else?
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Re: Windlass wiring TE 31

Post by gerber30 »

I have a 2004 31 TE and this weekend I just added foot control switches to my Lewmar. My wires terminated below the floor hatch below the steering wheel. The control solenoid was located on the forward wall and thankfully the three wires I needed from the front starboard anchor locker were coiled up neatly there. On my boat they were yellow, purple and green. Green went to power and the other two were for up and down. Wow, was I happy to see they prewired for the foot control switches. Made for a easy job not having to chase those wires... Used the boat this weekend and it is so nice having the foot switches when anchoring.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
windward
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by windward »

Thanks for the reply. We are still in shrink wrap on the hard but I will investigate in the next few days.
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

Wire to Windless.jpg
Winless Control Switch.jpg
I have a Lewmar pro fish 1000. I have included some pictures too. All of the DC power comes from under the hatch by the steering wheel, on the wall facing the center of the boat. My Lewmar circuit breaker is located above the DC breaker Panel door by the stairs. (No picture, sorry)

The contractor is hanging in this photo. I took it so I would know where all of the wires went. The large yellow is my ground, red is +12v. The smaller red, blue and brown go to the control switch. There is a small black jumper from the big yellow (gnd) , to the small brown wire. The brown is the ground switch by the control switch. The two top wire go to the windless, along with the green wire, which I believe is ground. The green go to one of the mounting windless bolts.

I believe the Lewmar documentation does not require the green wire at the windless. I kept mine there because it was originally there. The two wires to the windless are swapped by the contractor when "Up" or "Down" is selected. (My wires are black and red)

Read the manual. The 31 is a heavy boat, and the Lewmar windless gearing a susceptible to damage if you use the windless to pull up the anchor line, in lieu of pulling it up until you are over the anchor itself. Then you can pull up the line with the winless and stow the anchor. I should really get a set of those foot switches on the bow. Then I could to the the whole operation up there. I did this once in an 18 mph wind, that was hard motoring the boat forward and pulling up the line between motoring while the boat wanted to swing back and forth. Not so bad with less wind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
windward
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by windward »

Thank you. This helps a lot.

After much tracing of wires behind cabinets in the bathroom, we found that the Wiring coiled in the stbd. anchor locker was in fact terminated when the engine battery switch was ON and was therefore LIVE.

Your picture indicates that the contactor box is located up in the Anchor Locker. I wonder if this is normal for Albin installations? I would be concerned with corrosion but perhaps I shouldn't be. It would make my installation much simpler.

Ian "Windward" TE31 2002 - Still under shrinkwrap.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

windward wrote: Your picture indicates that the contactor box is located up in the Anchor Locker. I wonder if this is normal for Albin installations? I would be concerned with corrosion but perhaps I shouldn't be...
That was normal and your concern is a valid one...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”