• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Timing belt on 315 Yanmar

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Timing belt on 315 Yanmar

Post by mjohnh »

I have a 2005 Albin 28TE with a 315 Yanmar and only 500 hours..............I am the 3rd owner.........I find no evidence that the timing belt has been changed. Is there a way to check that? I recall someone suggesting that sometimes mechanics put an indication on the engine someplace that it has been done....not sure what to look for or where to look, Assuming that the belt has never been changed, what is the consensus of the risk I run if not done right away? Can the belt be changed while the boat is in the water? Thanks for all responses.....
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Timing belt on 315 Yanmar

Post by special k »

my yanmar tech put a metallic sticker on the top of the timing cover to show the service completed they managed with motor in place.mine done@ 1000 hr over 10 years old everything was in good condition. fwiw
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I have a 2005 A-30FC with the same Yanmar engine. I have had the timing belt changed once. That was in 2012 when the engine had 650 hours. It was done by a mechanic when the boat was in the water. As part of the change work it is necessary to do some alignments and run the engine, so if the boat is not in the water arrangements have to made for a supply of engine cooling water.
I believe that Yanmar recommends changing the timing belt every five years or 500 engine hours, but my mechanic thinks this is excessive. As a matter of interest when the original belt was removed at 650 hours it looked new with no visible signs of deterioration.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I should have added that both engine hours AND chronological age are factors in determining when a timing belt should be changed. Even though you have very low hours, your boat is twelve years old and is a long way past the recommended change interval if the timing belt has never been changed. If you cannot determine with certainty if and when it was changed I suggest you change it soon because the consequences of a timing belt failure are severe.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thank you, both, for your help on this....
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

I have been having a difficult time finding parts for changing the timing belt. Any suggestions on sources? I recall seeing on another site that there are "kits" with the essential parts....anyone aware of this? Thanks....
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

http://bayshoremarineengines.com/engineparts.aspx

Call them, they will hook you up.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks, Carl....I just sent them an email....
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Yanmar 6LP parts manual has been added to the document library. This has exploded views of what you are looking for.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

This is the best form ever.....what a great resource!!!
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

OK.....need my confusion cleared up.........Just talked to the mechanic that changed the timing belt and tensioner.....the old belt is in pristine condition, as is the tensioner (500 hours on engine: 2005 Albin 28TE with Yanmar)..........my confusion.....I had thought....maybe just assumed.....that if the timing belt were to break the engine, valves, etc, would destroy itself.........my mechanic says that the timing belt only runs the injector pump and that all other features of the engine are geared.....that a break in the belt would only interrupt fuel supply and no damage to engine.........what is correct on this one????? Thanks in advance....
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

mjohnh wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:05 am .........my mechanic says that the timing belt only runs the injector pump and that all other features of the engine are geared.....that a break in the belt would only interrupt fuel supply and no damage to engine.........what is correct on this one????? Thanks in advance....
:roll:

John, you are correct and your mechanic needs to go back to Yanmar school. It's just the opposite of what he said. The crankshaft timing gear turns an idler gear which turns the injection pump drive gear. This is all behind the timing gear cover and cannot be seen when your doing the belt swap. The pulley on the injection pump is what turns the timing belt and cam shaft pulley. And yes, this is an interference engine in that when out of timing the valve faces will hit the piston tops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mjohnh »

Thank you very much......
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Rob, your picture and description is part of why I belong to AOG. Thank you! (And I don't even have one of these bad boys.)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks Willie, and neither do I any longer. Glad to see that you enjoy this stuff as much as I do ..., As the sayings go - "knowledge is power" ...and... "sharing is caring"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”