• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Timing belt on 315 Yanmar

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Re: Timing belt on 315 Yanmar

Post by mjohnh »

The mechanic has apologized and admits that he was wrong on the belt, but does say that he did it correctly and that the timing has to be good or the engine would not start. Seems to me that if the timing were off a little bit it would still start and could do damage. Any thoughts. By the way, I have not started the engine as I have lost confidence that it was done correctly and I have hired a Yanmar mechanic from about 1 hour away to come check the timing and finish the job on the zincs. Seriously considering a canoe!!!!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The timing is correct or it is not. None of this one or two teeth off and that's close enough. Good solution to hire a qualified person to check on the work. If possible, and you have the interest, have him show you the issues and how close enough is not in fact good enough.

The idea that "the engine started so I must have timed it correctly" blows my mind. Another lesson learned and it is just money. You want it right.
Nancy's Promise
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Keyport NJ

Post by Nancy's Promise »

What is the average cost to replace the timing belt ?
Rabiss
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Charlotte Fl

Post by Rabiss »

I got my 28 06 in April. It was recommended to change the timing belt, the boat had 600 hours and 11 year old. It cost me about $500. Will Worth it for peace of mind. The belt that came out look good.
Randy
06 Albin 28

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”