• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor Chain

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Mpayne
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford CT

Anchor Chain

Post by Mpayne »

How much anchor chain is advisable for NE US on a Command Bridge 32+2. Currently I have about 25 feet but dragged in Block Island. Harbor master gave me big lecture about not having enough chain. Others boats in our YC have as much as 150 feet. Ancora came from Florida where I guess less chain is required.

Suggestions please!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Anchor Chain

Post by Pitou »

No matter where or how you boat, the "Minimum" rule of thumb is that your chain length should match your LOA. More is better. Not to be harsh, but I'd call what you have as barely qualifying as a beach or lunch hook.

I have 120 ft. of chain spliced to 170 ft. of braided line on my 31 TE and honestly wish that I had 175 of chain before the splice. Chain offers a lot of security and especially so if the wind picks up.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

yea Im with kevin, you need to at least double that, I would prefer tripling it! also what kind of anchor you have? Anchor design is not universal for the most part. You need the right anchor for the bottom you are anchoring in. On shady we have 80Ft of chain but a fortress fluke anchor, not a bad anchor but we could do better. Really want to upgrade to a manson supreme or boss anchor as they hold much better!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

I'm with you all on this! Poco Loco has over 100" of chain, and I will double it before cruising north. What I have is fine for sandy New Jersey, minor currents, and sheltered anchorages.
My Whaler has 30 feet, but only anchors for fishing or as a "lunch stop", never more serious conditions.
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Is it possible to splice chain ahead of one of those windlass-friendly rhodes that will work with my lewmar, or do I have to start from scratch with a whole new rope-chain combo if I want to add chain?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

You can splice chain with C-links but they are not as strong as the chain itself. I use 5/16" G4 chain on my 28 which is overkill for the boat, but it is what fits the windlass. The WLL for the chain is 3,900 LB. Breaking strength is 11,700. The corresponding C-link has a WLL of 1,900 LB and breaking strength of 7,600. The breaking strength of the 9/16" rope spliced to this chain is 8,800. Based on these numbers I'd be comfortable using a C-link, but I'd make sure it was Crosby or equivalent, not something from China that is often found in local marine stores. My rode is 100 feet of chain spliced to 200 feet of rope.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”