• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propane Tank location

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Propane Tank location

Post by Doug »

We recently purchased a 1997 32+2. The surveyor found a problem those of you with a propane stove may be able to help us with. In the anchor locker is the propane tank for the stove. He told me it is not in a propane locker, and because the windlass is not ignition protected, could cause a problem if there is a leak. He said the Coast Guard requires it be in an airtight locker.

How is your boat set up related to this? His best suggestion is to have a fiberglass person build a "wall" to divide off the port side of the anchor locker, where the propane tank is located, from the rest of the anchor locker. I got a bid on this from a fiberglass person and it was $750.00. I want to be sure that is the correct thing to do before spending this much on the fix. Is there a better place to put the propane tank? Someone suggested putting it in the "live well" but it would require extending the bottom of the live well about 4 inches.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Doug
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Your surveyor will just LOVE my location. I have a 20# tank in the portside fishwell. Blocked the drain to the bilge. Ran a vent hose just under platform.

The theory is, if I get a leak the fish well could fill up to the vent hose level, then overboard.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Propane lockers should NOT be airtight. In fact, quite the opposite. They should drain overboard, and allow air to fill from the top, preferably through the lid. Propane is heavier than air, and will behave like water. The LAST thing you want is a locker filled with propane, which is exactly what you'd get if you had a leak in an airtight locker, or a locker that didn't allow air to fill from the top to displace the propane and allow it to drain out the bottom.

They should also never have any electronic equipment in them aside from the remote shut-off valve. What's more, they shouldn't have any moving equipment (like anchor chain or rode) in them that could damage the tank, hoses, or valves. The anchor locker is a HORRIBLE location for a propane tank. You'd be better off to just buy an aftermarket on-deck locker.

Also, the propane locker should not be used for storing other supplies or equipment. The worst I've seen was when the propane locker was used as storage for a fire extinguisher. So what, when there's a fire you're supposed to open up the locker filled with explosive gas to grab the fire extinguisher? I don't see that ending very well!
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Propane Locker

Post by Doug »

I forgot to mention that the surveyor told me there must be a drain to the outside and the drain must be located in the very bottom of the locker. He said other than that, the locker is supposed to be air tight. He said this is the current Coast Guard regulations. I agree with you, the anchor locker is not the best place. I am considering modifying the live well and put it there.
Doug
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

I also put a divider in my anchor locker though it is not airtight to the other side. My purpose was to separate the anchor rode on the windlass from my secondary anchors stored on the port side.

It was a simple but time consuming job especially the final shaping of the divider to make a good fit with the contours of the hull.

Running a drain overboard from the bottom of a 32 fish bin does not work. The bottom is below the waterline.

My system is far from perfect however there are no spark emitting devices in the bin, just a hose & a spare fender.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Propane Tank

Post by Doug »

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are saying about the bottom of the live well being below the water line. I measured from the bottom of the live well, plus the 4 inches I will need to lower the live well. From the bottom of the live well to the cockpit floor is 2 Ft. From the cockpit floor to the waterline is another ft. There is already a (water) drain in the bottom of the live well, and I thought I could use that as my propane locker vapor drain. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Doug
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

Sorry. We are talking different places. I have my 20# propane bottle inthe port side storage bin under the cockpit. It could never fit in the live well next to the sink.

The bottom of the storage bin is well below the waterline. :?

Not many 32s have propane stoves. Mine had an AC stove when I bought it but I took it out right away. We don't do marina cruising here & I hate the noise of a genny, mine or anyone else's, so silent power is king.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”