• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Air Conditioner

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
gnott

Air Conditioner

Post by gnott »

I have a new 35 CB and will likely have many questions needing help..she is kept on a lift, and of cours every time it is lifted, the water from the A/C drains, and it does not prime when in the water..is there any solution barring taking the hoses off and bleeding to get it primed...somebody suggested to turn on the genny when under way, and the water would be forced thru the system...have not tried that yet.....Gary
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I haven't yet found any way, but to bleed the pump when an air lock occurs. The genny seawater intake and the AC seawater intake are completely seperate closed systems and the only thing the genny can do is provide power to the AC Power side to run the air conditioning unit to hopefully prime the pump. I find this to work 50-50 at best. Enjoy that new Command Bridge !!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

A/C

Post by SpaceCoaster »

I installed a marine AC unit in my 28TE a couple years ago and also keep our boat on a lift. To resolve this problem the manufacturer of the AC system also sells a "T" valve that I installed inline on the seawater intake hose. I can't say for sure, but I believe it is installed between the seacock and the pump. If not, then just after the pump.

The pump and T-valve are both in the engine room and under the waterline. So, when I drop the boat back in the water, and if I want to run the AC unit, I simply prime the pump by opening the T valve. The water enters the pump and drains out in the bilge. I then put the valve in its normal position so the T-valve then permits water to flow along the path of the hose (to the AC unit) once I start the system.

I don't know if this makes sense how I've explained it. If not, let me know and I'll get out to the boat and take a picture.
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

The AC intake should have a seacock . Turn it off before lifting the boat. Remember to open it after lowering. Don't know if the location is changed, but my 96 32 the seacock is down deep in the keel.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Gary ..... It looks like you got some good responses. They've helped me too.

The "T" valve after the pump sounds like a great idea to make the bleed easier.

I'm in the water and sometimes when I don't close the AC seacock when not running the AC system and run the boat ..... air lock! I, as well, thank you for the suggestions gents.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gnott

Post by gnott »

some very good input there, for which I thank you....won't get a chance to try for a while, but when I do will report back.....thanx again, Gary
gnott

Post by gnott »

After much diddling and head scratching, I have a tentative conclusion....closing the sea cock is not an alternative....only a fiend could have located it in such a hard to reach (actually next to impossible to reach) spot....the T valve is a good choice...it beats undoing the "out" hose of the pump each time....but what does seem to work, is to losen the strainer top until it overflows with water, and the pump can prime itself....thanks, all....Gary

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”