• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Tanks

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
stevediebold
First Mate
First Mate

Fuel Tanks

Post by stevediebold »

Does anyone have corrosion on the top of the fuel tanks where the vent comes out? my mechanic thinks it is due to mixing a brass or bronze fitting with the aluminum tank.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

dissimilar metals alone will not cause corrosion. Dissimilar metals combined with improper grounding, however, will.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Mariner,
how about,
dissimilar metals alone will cause corrosion. Dissimilar metals combined with proper grounding, however, will not. :)

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Re: Fuel Tanks

Post by jruesr »

Pasagemaker Magazine published an extensive article May/June 2001 on aluminum fuel tanks. I used this article as my bible when replacing the fuel tanks on my 32. The bottom line is that all fittings in contact with an aluminum tank must be 304 or 316 stainless or at the very least stainless bushings must be used between the tank and any copper alloy material.

I have the article but cannot find it on line at this time.

Jruesr
Passages III

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”