• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Owner questions

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

New Owner questions

Post by powerboater56 »

I have signed an agreement to buy a 2004 35 Command Bridge, powered by a Yanmar 340 with a Northern Lights generator. I'm very excited, and look forward to using the boat for coastal cruising in New England and possibly a run down the ICW.

The boat is in terrific condition, but somewhere along the line one of the seat cushions on the command bridge disappeared. Does anyone know if there is a company that would have the patterns for these cushions and could make a replacement?

The boat has a decent array of electronics, but lacks an autopilot. I would love to hear what autopilots have been installed by other owners and how well they have worked.

The other item I may add at some point is a set of dinghy davits or Weaver snap davits. Any suggestions for dinghy davits would be greatly appreciated.

One Albin dealer said Albin installed the water intake scoops for the engine and generator cooling systems facing the wrong way on the 35 Command Bridge -- has anyone come across this problem?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get to know the boat. Any suggestions/information much appreciated!

John Schieffelin
Jamestown, RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New Owner questions

Post by jcollins »

John,
Congratulations! I see it took awhile but you told us almost two years ago you were looking.

Post some pictures of your new ride...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

John,

Welcome, the Albins are great boats in so many ways. Most of the cushions and upholstery on US built Albins was fabricated right up the road from you in Warren at Bristol Cushions. I just picked up a new set of cockpit bolsters I had made there and they are beautiful, not cheap, but beautiful.
http://www.bristolcushion.com/csh_main.html
I had Furuno electronics on my 28TE when I bought it so I continued on and upgraded. I went with the Furuno 511 Autopilot and I love it. No napping when in autopilot though, I once had the sensor get confused by 180 degrees and start driving us back the way we came! Simple restart fixed it. Remember, all this gear works on the Windows OS! When in doubt "reboot".
Hope to see you out about on Narragansett Bay!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Congratulations on the new purchase. Seat cushions, the 'U' shaped one I presume can be made by any reputable marine canvas shop. Can't speak on the autopilot. I took mine out. Here in Bermuda a trip is seldom longer than an hour & no more than 15 minutes on any one course. Might as well drive the boat myself or delegate to wife or kids if they are onboard. Don't understand why intakes would be turned backwards but check them.

You might want to have an additional filler cushion made for the bridge area. A trawler owning friend came up with this idea. He is always finding work for me to do to my boat. It makes for a great 'cooling out' spot at anchor by day & also turns the bridge deck into a fantastic spot to sleep on those warm nights when you don't want to spoil the quiet with a genny running. It also turns the 32 into a boat that can comfortably sleep 6 adults. How many 32 can do that?

Dinghy storage.....Now why would you want to start drilling holes & installing hardware to stub your toes on when you don't need to? You have two options....store the dinghy on the cabin top (tie it off to handrails or cleats) or, store it on its side across the swim platform using lines to the stern cleats. Either way, no holes, no additional expense. I carry a hard dinghy which is more ungainly to handle than an inflatable but have never had a problem no matter the sea.

I added a cleat in the center of the transom cap specifically for towing the dinghy so that I do not have to rig a fancy bridle to center the dinghy for towing.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

powerboater56 wrote:I have signed an agreement to buy a 2004 35 Command Bridge, powered by a Yanmar 340 with a Northern Lights generator. I'm very excited, and look forward to using the boat for coastal cruising in New England and possibly a run down the ICW.

The other item I may add at some point is a set of dinghy davits or Weaver snap davits. Any suggestions for dinghy davits would be greatly appreciated.

One Albin dealer said Albin installed the water intake scoops for the engine and generator cooling systems facing the wrong way on the 35 Command Bridge -- has anyone come across this problem?

Any suggestions/information much appreciated!

John Schieffelin
Jamestown, RI
Welcome aboard and Congratulations!

A bronze round strainer is the right way to go for the genset, but Albin often intalled thru hull intake strainers. They work, but should have the slots facing aft so the water is not forced in at an excessive rate. The only problem is when in reverse .... well you guessed it ... you can overfill the exhaust elbow flowng consequently water will overflow into the exhaust valve. When the seacock is open go slow in reverse if it is installed with slots to stearn. If the slots are facing forward I would swap out with a round strainer.

I'm a user and fan of the Weaver Snap Davit System using the removable Snap Davits so when not in use just the receiver plates are left on the platform. No stubbed toes and minimal interferance when fishing. Looking into the Weaver Leaver with a standoff this season.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Doug »

Any upholstry shop that does marine cushions should be able to make you a new cushion. Just take your other cushion and a "brown paper" pattern of what you want.

I have a complet set of Weaver Inflatable snap davits, including the "Leaver" that allows the outboard motor to pivot, that I would like to sell. Contact me at dfullsail@yahoo.com if interested

Doug
1997 32+2 CB
"RELAX'N"
St. Petersburg, Fl
(727) 866-7981

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”