• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MARINAS VS. ANCHORING OUT

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

MARINAS VS. ANCHORING OUT

Post by Doug »

I am wondering how many Albin CB owners prefer to anchor out vs. staying overnight in a marina whenever you are staying on your boat.

Our choice has alway been to anchor out, and we have equipped our boat accordingly. Please let us know how you use your boats.

Doug
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: MARINAS VS. ANCHORING OUT

Post by jcollins »

I don't own a CB but we do anchor out about 1/2 the time. I would like to think that if I did own a 35 CB I would anchor out more.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Boating is a bit different here in Bermuda. There are no destination marinas with restaurants etc. We don't get onboard our boat unless we will be on it for at least 24 hours. For us it is anchoring out or on a mooring somewhere. Up until 2 years ago we would do 35-40 nights a year.

A typical weekend would always be rafted with at least 2 other boats. Quite often the raftup looks like this.

or this: Find the Albin

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Find the Albin - Too easy. Just look for the happiest boater!
What type of boat is Miss Sandy? Looks almost Chesapeake style.
John
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

Miss Sandy from another angle. New Years Day a couple years back. Helluva way to spend New Years Eve!

A Sabre 42 express. Cruises at 26kts. Top speed near 35kts. Simply georgeous boat.

What!!!! nobody noticed that the boats in the top pic were neither anchored or attatched to the mooring????
Sometimes when we want to change locations we are just too lazy to break up the raftup. Make sure all springlines are tight, start up outside boats in the raftup. Now you have a very wide single boat. All it takes is communication between the two skippers & trust. We were about the pick up the mooring in front Veebyes.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Not a Command Bridge owner, but the Express Trawler is about the same size, etc... I would say it's about 60/40; in favor of anchoring out in the summer, and in favor of marinas in the winter and spring. The problem with anchoring out in the winter or spring here is the rain. You end up spending all your time cooped up in the cabin, which gets a little boring. If your at a marina, it's no big deal to step off the boat and walk up to a restaurant or bar, or go shoppping or whatever. But in the summer, it's all about remote destinations. However, we still like to stay at the marinas every few nights just for the conveniences and the opportunity to stock up on more supplies. The 36' Express Trawler is a little light on storage for things like food, and the refrigerator is a little on the small size.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Veebyes2 wrote:What!!!! nobody noticed that the boats in the top pic were neither anchored or attatched to the mooring????
A typical weekend would always be rafted with at least 2 other boats. Quite often the raftup looks like this.

I assumed it was the Bahamian Drift. 8) Or, I didn't drop the anchor, I though you did!!??? :oops:

Didn't even notice.
John
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

This may be a dumb question, and I think the answer is no- but do any of you leave your boat while at anchor? Sounds like bad seamanship, just thinking about the remote locations that Mariner is talking about and wondering which one of the explorers gets stuck with anchor watch?? Hopefully not the Captain :D
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

We leave ours on anchor unattended all the time. Sometimes just for a short while. Sometimes for hours. Trust your anchor & your skills at using it. The boat does not think "Ah Ha! I can escape now."
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

jeff, Not to worry, but concern is good. With good ground tackle including a fair length of chain I have never broken anchor in 35 years though I often do return to the boat for a tide change if anchored in an area of swift current. Why, a worried Admiral and peace of mind. The funny thing is we experience plenty of tide changes in the middle of the night that no one gets up for :lol: . Be sure your rode consists of a swivel attached to the anchor and my preferance of 30 ft. of chain and then your rope rode. That chain makes a huge difference.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

I'll second the chain. Rule of thumb for me is whatever the boat, have about a boat length worth of chain. No worrys.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”