• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tad confused; 32 sportfish versus command bridge

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
fazsha
Swabby
Swabby

Tad confused; 32 sportfish versus command bridge

Post by fazsha »

Torn between open bridge deck to cock pit designs and the command bridge seems to just do it for me. My 1st briny boat was a 1959 40' CCraft SeaSkiff, twin 427's made it the baddest battlewagon of the day. The cockpit/wheelhouse was a level 18x12'; allowing for a crazy mix seating and passengers.

So, yachtworld has a number of 32's, there are "command bridge" and "sport fisherman" and I'm a tad confused; is it just a natural progression from the 80's thru the 90's; or are they different boats?

Many thanks.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... /crop3.jpg
1959 40' CC SeaSkiff 427's
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tad confused; 32 sportfish versus command bridge

Post by Seaslug44 »

I have a 1989 Sportfish for sale. You can view it here on this website in the Classified section. In later years the boat switched names to Command Bridge. Then it became a 32+2 model that added a two foot integrated swim platform to the hull in an attempt to gain more speed and to raise the stern. There are mixed feelings on the effectiveness of that experiment. I've had my boat side-by-side with a mid-90's 32+2 with a 370 Turbo Cummins (mine has the 300 turbo Cummins -sometimes referred to as 315 turbo Cummins) and at the same rpm's my boat cruised a knot FASTER. At first this seemed confusing that a longer boat with more horsepower would be slower but when you think of it in terms of weight, my boat is lighter so hence the faster cruise (not to mention the much better fuel economy).

Another change that was made was the dinette table was moved from the bow to the aft cabin. Personally, I like having it in the bow because the area in the aft cabin is not as roomy and feels a bit claustrophobic. My table in the bow has much more headroom and is next to the galley. My buddy with the 32+2 seems to complain that many of his passengers, including his son have gotten seasick while sitting in at the table in that tight area. That never has been an issue on my 32 Sportfish. Also, on my boat with the mid-cabin door and privacy divider closed, guests can sleep on the King-sized aft bunk in silence and darkness while other guests can stay up late and play cards at the table, watch tv, cook some popcorn, use the head, etc... all in the forward cabin without disturbing those who are sleeping in the Aft cabin. Speaking of bunks, on the 32' In addition to the Queens sized forward bunk (the table drops down) and the King-Size aft bunk (which can be converted into two single bunk or seats with legroom in the middle), the boat also has a third expandable single bunk on the port side opposite the King-size bunk.
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

I have a 1990 sportfish and I agree with everything above and would like to add that most experienced cruising folks would prefer to sleep aft vs in the bow. My sportfish has an area that makes a nice size family room (if you will) forward. My boat has a new Cummins 370 diesel and will do 22 kts WOT. I do not know if it is more fuel efficient or not but would like to know pros and cons of the 32+2. I know the +2 boats are sure high priced. The fact that the bunk converts between two singles or a king is good for a combination couples cruising boat and a fishing boat.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

32 Family Fisherman, Sport Fish, 'S' type, Command Bridge, whatever else Albin called them, they are all based on the same hull with interior tinkerings going on over the model years. The most noticable was the moving of the galley from forward to aft.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

One issue that I hear negative comments on, for the forward queen version, is the useless small refrigerator. My forward galley model has a 6 cubic ft AC/DC/Propane refrigerator with a very large freezer. I use the AC function nearly all the time either at the dock or underway. Having a large refrigerator freezer is a really nice cruising feature that does not work on the aft galley version.
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

I have not cruised on the original 32 sportfish version with the galley/ living are forward, but I have a 35 Command Bridge with the stateroom forward and salon/galley aft and all in all I think it makes a good cruising boat. The stateroom forward is really comfortable and has a ton of storage space for clothes and gear. The salon area is not huge but the U-shaped settee is quite large and comfortable. The galley is pretty good -- there are two refrigerators on my Command bridge and they hold plenty of food. I also have a stove with oven and a microwave.

Having the galley aft is more convenient when you are underway and have to bring food up to the bridge. I have to think preparing food underway in the bouncing bow area in the early layout could be tricky. But both layouts have pros and cons -- a buyer should look at both and form his own opinion which would work the best for his/her cruising style.
John S.
Jamestown, RI
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Those two small fridges are pretty useless for our cruising style. The most we would do would be a 4 nighter over a holiday weekend. For that everything comes onbooard in coolers & stays in coolers. I have seen one 32+2 where the more forward fridge was replaced with a top loading freezer. Nice upgrage IMO.

Overall IMO the 32, in its various versions, is one great cruising boat for 2.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

We cruised extensively on our 32 sportfish in FL and the Bahamas; always in the summer months (calmer seas). The factory installed, front loading fridge was useless; when anchoring for extended periods, every time you open the door, the cold air spills out. Then it has to run for a long time to cool down. I replaced with a top loading fridge/freezer I made myself. Insulated box in the same foot print, with a cold machine compressor remotely located under the sink. Found I could go 4-5 days without starting my engine to charge up my house bank.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”