• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

32 versus 32 + 2

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
john stout
Gold Member
Gold Member

32 versus 32 + 2

Post by john stout »

We're looking to move from a 28 TE to a 32 CB. Is there an advantage/disadvantage between the 32 and the 32 +2? Does the 32 + 2 have less draft? If so, how much? Some 32's have a hardtop. Was this a factory option or an add-on? Any flaws or defects we should be cautious of in the 32"s?
Blue Without You
28TE
John Stout
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Re: 32 versus 32 + 2

Post by powerboater56 »

The 32 was changed to the 32+2 to correct a slight issue with a high bow-up trim condition. In an early boat test in Powerboat Reports the 32 CB was measured as running with a 7 degree bow-up trim. Albin added a 2-foot hull extension at the transom after the first year or two of production to bring the trim level down to a more typical 4 or 5 degree level. The draft stayed the same, the propeller and rudder did not move. One of our members has a 32 and reports he thinks it rides just fine without the 2-foot hull extension. Much later (in 2005) Albin moved the transom aft to the end of the hull extension and renamed the boat the 35 Command Bridge.

I know some 32+2's had factory-installed hardtops; I do not know if this was a factory-installed option from the beginning of the 32/32+2/35CB model run.

I happened to notice a 2005 35 CB that was docked in my homeport (Jamestown, RI) just went on sale through Boatworks Yacht Sales. I have seen the boat and it looks like it has been well maintained. Asking price is $168,000 which is not bad for a 2005 35 CB.

You may want to call Ken Hilton at Standish Marine in Tiverton RI about possible flaws in the 32's. He has been a dealer for a long time and knows Albins well. One of the major caution areas is in the coring -- Albin cored most hulls with balsa and you should have a surveyor do a thorough hammer and electronic gauge check for water intrusion in the coring.

Good luck. I love my 35 CB and I am sure the 32 would be a great boat too.
John S.
Jamestown, RI

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”