• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

albin 32 vs albin 32+2?

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

albin 32 vs albin 32+2?

Post by erice »

years ago, an albin dealer told me the reason they made the 32 + 2 was because the 32' model tended to get "squirrily" in a following sea. does anyone have thoughts or experience regarding this? i'm looking for a 32 + 2 or 35 cb, but they are hard to get. if the 32 is still a good sea boat in a following sea, i'd like to hear it. or, if you own a 32, any experiences you've had with different sea conditions. thanks, eric.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: albin 32 vs albin 32+2?

Post by Veebyes2 »

I have one of the last 32s produced, an early 1996 'S' type. Same layout as a +2. It just does not have the extra hull length under the platform. I really can't say that it is any more or less squirrily going slow in a following sea than any other full keeled single. I do know that the +2 gets on the plane more readilly the older 32s having that extra bouyancy & lift back there.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

I have a 32. my buddy has a 32+2. There is no noticeable difference in following seas. We have noticed that my boat has a quicker cruising speed and is much more fuel efficient. My 32 is lighter and has a 300hp Cummins vs. his 370hp. We can tell you that if you plan to fish, then the 32' is the way to go. The +2 is like a bad swim platform that you just wish would stop getting in your way. More than one fish-of-a-lifetime gaff shot or chance to net has been missed & lost on his 32+2 as a result.
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

I had heard that Albin changed the 32 to the 32+2 because the 32 ran bow-high. The added lift aft of the 2-foot hull extension was supposed to make the goat run more level. Maybe Seaslug44 can let us know if the 32 runs bow high compared to his friend's 32+2.
John S.
Jamestown, RI
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

Both model boats need the use of trim tabs in order to get their bows down. The 32+2 does ride slightly more level without trim tabs but in our area coming through the inlet with a following sea this has turned out to be more a negative than a positive. Their are indeed sometimes positives to running bow-high. In the case of the nasty inlet with following seas my boat "surfs" through the inlet much nicer than the 32+2 when we both pull our trim tabs all the way up.
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

I have a 1990 Sportsfisher 32 and a good friend just purchased a 2004 CB 35. His boat is nice and new with lots of changes, some good, some not so good. Maintenance access on my boat is much better and my cockpit is considerably larger. His cabin is a bit larger. The cabin aft wall was moved back, into the cockpit, about a foot and the bridge height was increased on his 35. I think the overall length (not counting the swim platform) is the same. I do not know where the extra foot ( 35 vs 32+2 or 32) is.

So far I have felt no need for the extra two feet of hull for buoyancy. I carry a dinghy on davits. I do not have a 1000# generator in the aft of my boat. For me a Honda 2000I portable generator does everything that I need and it starts when the battery is down ( just pull the cord) and it weight about 50#. I have been careful not to put too much weight in the aft of my boat.

On his CB 35, the cockpit was not extended to the back of the swim platform. I do not know if the 32+2 had the larger cabin of not. I wonder how many different types of CB 35 models were made.

We refer to these boats as a 32, 32+2, or 35 as though there are three different boat models. While looking for my Albin I saw a twin diesel 32 with two births aft (under the bridge) and cabin forward. I saw several with the original layout (which I prefer) King size bed aft and dinette forward, and I saw one with the queen birth forward and galley aft, and I saw one with a v birth forward and a set of bunk beds across from the head. I wonder if the +2 and 35 also had many variations.

We will be cruising together extensively. I will keep you informed, if I learn something important, regarding performance.

My boat was the right one for me and I have not seen anything that I would like better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by jruesr on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

JMO but the 35 is a bit out of proportion to me. Saw one under construction in 2003/4?. Cabin the same as 32+2 but cockpit extended over what used to be the swim platform. Nice big cockpit but just doesn't look quite right. Next the hull will be extended again under the platform & it will be the 35+2.

Still the 32, 32+2, 35, ?next is one fine boat. Ten years owning my 96 & I have not seen anything in the size range I'd trade for.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

In case you can not tell I really like this 32 foot boat. I am a sailor that went over to the dark side (bought a power boat) and I spend my cruising time away from marinas as much as possible. My wife wanted to get somewhere faster and we wanted to go places that the sailboat could not go (five and a half foot draft and 53 foot mast).

I looked at power boats for two years and had a tough time finding something that I could trade for in an affordable package. This boat required some fixing but I am good at that.

The following is a list of the things I compared and liked about this boat.

Its speed is more than adequate for me (cruise 12 to 18 kts, max is about 22).

While standing at the helm I can see the entire perimeter of the boat.

I can stand on the deck beside the helm and control the boat, while backing into the slip. I control the boat with the gear shift and the bow thruster (at chest height), and handle docklines myself.

There are only four steps to the bridge. We did not buy a retirement home with no steps in order to have a staircase on the boat. We are not as young as we once were.

There are two steps to the side decks and lots of things to hold onto while moving around on the boat.

The transom door is walk through to a swim platform.

This boat is the easiest one to get around on, of all models that I studied (mostly mainships).

The side decks are very wide, safe and easy to traverse.

The bridge is high enough to allow the helmsman to see over a dinghy or kayak on the foredeck or tipped up on the transom.

There are no window in the front of this boat (a plus for seakeeping ability).

The forward hatch and ten side windows provide adequate ventilation.

We have good fishing rod storage and a live well and storage for fishing gear in the cockpit.

The cockpit sink is great for many reasons.

Inside, first and foremost, is a good sized shower with a seat, and the seat is not the toilet seat. The shower compartment is separate from the head area. The first hot day we anchored out and went to the beach I took three showers.

The head is large enough.

The galley is large with good storage and we have propane cooking.

My forward cabin model has a very large 6 cubic foot refrigerator/freezer that runs on AC or DC or Propane. This is unusual.

Storage is adequate.

My boat has a 90 watt solar panel and an inverter charger for power. With propane refrigeration my power demands are minimal.

Maintenance access on my 32 is exceptional.

The boat has a "king" sized bed that does not double as a dinette. It can also be setup as two bunks with a passage between them for that "guys" fishing trip.

I prefer not to sleep in the bow if I can help it. Less motion amidships than in the bow.

The dinette converts to a large double or two individual bunks.

The cabin can be divided into two separate rooms.

My heat and air unit is located centrally and can handle the aft sleeping area only or the entire boat.

Water capacity is about 100 gallons and that's enough for us.

The anchor locker is divided into two compartments and holds a second anchor without any trouble. I do not have a windless and do not need one. My anchor is a fortress (very light yet holds well).

Now if that bored you too much I apologize.

Happy boating

John
Passages III 1990 Albin 32
Last edited by jruesr on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey John - I get the feeling you really like your boat! :-)

Great "list" of features - it would serve someone who's looking to buy a boat as a good guide to the types of questions they should be asking themselves.

Happy New Year!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

John, Great post!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Hey John, I like your post and the features you describe so well. I was looking for a 32 or 32+2 and could not find one as clean as the 35 TE FB we finally bought. Obviously, I was not as patient as you, but in the end I think we did OK. Ladders were out for the same reason as you, visibility a must, two anchors (with a windlass for the same reason as no ladders) because we prefer to anchor and safely whether its blowing 35 knots or not, a cruise speed of 16-18 because I am not as patient as some, a decent stateroom and bed, a stand-up head and shower, and most importantly a commodious galley with a 7 cubic foot frig/freezer for the Admiral. :D The twin Cummins make the thruster unnecessary, but oh the fuel :| . We will make a good pair on the way from Tampa Bay to the Florida rendezvous. And to make Doug Sea think about the 35 TE he is about to get and satisfy his lust for pictures, I will try and post some photos (supposed to be here but having computer problems)
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Here are the pics for the above post (I hope)
A-List Photos 013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Chuck Waygood »

John, I may not be able to get you up to Tampa Bay, but it is not far from Matlacha to Cape Coral. Are you coming to the Rendezvous in Cape Harbor?
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

And I thought that I was the 32s biggest fan! Very few grumbles here about the boat. Love it for all the reasons Jreuser listed. We saw our first 32 at the 1989 Annapolis show. Liked that one. Like the refinements of later models even more.

With some doing it can sleep a whole bunch of people. Queen berth fwd. Larger than king aft. Plenty room for 2 more adults on the bridge, after a filler cushion mod has been made.

How many boats have a water view like this from the berth?

The boat runs level but not without plenty of trim tab.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Chuck Waygood wrote:... And to make Doug Sea think about the 35 TE he is about to get and satisfy his lust for pictures, I will try and post some photos (supposed to be here but having computer problems)
Ah yes, I do lust after pictures!! :-)

Thanks for posting those! That's quite the galley you have there. If Kathy sees that big fridge she may have some upgrade requests for me!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”