• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

powerboat reports

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

powerboat reports

Post by powerboater56 »

Powerboat Reports, a newsletter, just did a test on the Albin 35 Command Bridge. Overall a positive review -- they took issue with the steering, and had some reservations about fuel tank mounting system and engine access. The report thought the entry on the 35 Command Bridge was fuller than that on the MJM 34 or the Mainship 34 and that the Albin would have a harsh ride in head seas. Do owners of the 35 Command Bridge/32+2 feel the boat is harsh riding?
The report stated the test boat (Henrietta) had a 450 hp Cummins -- I thought the only Cummins installed on these boats was under 400 hp -- about 370 hp.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

The 35 is basically the 32+2 with an extended cockpit which is a 1989 Albin 34 motoryacht hull. The hull has been around a long time. Yes, it is fuller in the bow than the Mainship. There is not much to compare between the 2. The Albin rides far dryer. Yes, I have been on a Mainship. No, the Albin does not pound. Certainly no more than any other similar shaped hull which is not much different, except for the keel, than a bunch of respected sports fishermen.

Yes, the engine room space is tight on the sides. All that cabin space comes at a price. For a single engine it has a huge fuel capacity. Can't have big tanks either side of the engine & space to easily work too.

Don't know what the grumble about the steering might be other than at very low speed it is a bit sluggish. No biggy. That is what a shot of power is for.

I first laid eyes on the 32 at the Annapolis show 1989. Loved the boat then. Bought my 1996 version in 1999. Been going back to Annapolis more or less biannually since 1989. I have not seen ANYTHING in the 30-35' range that I would swap my 32 for. Never seen another 32' single diesel boat with 260gal fuel & 115gal water with a cabin that is all ONE level.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Isn't that hull basically the same as our 36' Express Trawler?

If so, I would say that it's an exceptionally smooth riding hull; although I haven't yet had the misfortune of trying it out in truly bad conditions. About the worst I've experienced in it was 2' chop. In that case (my first outing aboard the boat), I was a little unnerved by the noise that the cored hull made when quartering the chop, but the boat held very steady and stable. The flared bow really cuts down on spray. I've yet to take spray over the bow such that it would hit the windshield (or the bridge on the 35' CB).

As for the steering, I really have no idea what they would mean. Our single engine model has a gigantic rudder that makes handling very responsive and nimble for a boat of it's size.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I would not be surprised if the 32+2 hull & 36 trawler are very similar. Both came from the hand of Terry Compton.

That extra wide chine does make a noise in a sea but because it is wide is the reason the boat is so dry. I have only managed to put solid water on deck a few times. Yes the wx was ugly & the sea was a short nasty steep chop, the type you just go slow & take one wave at a time. No fun.

Still on the 36. Be careful in a beam sea. Apparently one sank in the Chesapeake Bay 1999. The boat started 'sipping' through the large hull side vent. Bilge pump failed. The crew did not realize what was happening till too late. Down she went.

I saw the boat in a Tilghman Island boatyard. Don't know whatever happened to it afterwards.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
bnoft

Post by bnoft »

I have had a 35 for only 10 months, the ride is smooth & dry. The worst conditions I've experienced in this boat were 3-4 ft seas; taking them head on I thought I was in a cat, no pounding at all. A following sea was not a problem.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Veebyes2 wrote:I would not be surprised if the 32+2 hull & 36 trawler are very similar. Both came from the hand of Terry Compton.

That extra wide chine does make a noise in a sea but because it is wide is the reason the boat is so dry. I have only managed to put solid water on deck a few times. Yes the wx was ugly & the sea was a short nasty steep chop, the type you just go slow & take one wave at a time. No fun.

Still on the 36. Be careful in a beam sea. Apparently one sank in the Chesapeake Bay 1999. The boat started 'sipping' through the large hull side vent. Bilge pump failed. The crew did not realize what was happening till too late. Down she went.

I saw the boat in a Tilghman Island boatyard. Don't know whatever happened to it afterwards.
The side vents on our 36' are inside the gunnel (well above the deck). I've often seen boats with them on the outside of the hull (like the 36' Saberline Express) and wondered about the wisdom of such a setup.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”