• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cored Hull

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Steve Mulkey

Cored Hull

Post by Steve Mulkey »

Does the 2005 35 Command Bridge have a cored hull? If so has any one historically had any difficulties. I noticed some comments earlier regarding a 28' with a cored hull with no problems.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I have a 1996 'S' type 32. Cored hull & no problems so far. The macerator thruhull needs replacing this winter so we will have a look in that area.

The only problem that I have ever had that is core related was with my 1986 27AC. I noticed leaks around one of the port frames. Removed it & found that due to insufficient sealer used during the installation, water had gotten in & rotted the balsa core.

I removed all the ports, 11 of them, dug out the rotted balsa, left them to dry for a few weeks before filling the space where wood used to be with resin & filler. Further, I reinstalled the ports using through bolts to hold the inner frame & outer frame securely.

Years later I was on the boat a few weeks ago. My repairs seem to be holding up just fine.

I intend to give my 32 the same treatment this winter.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
bnoft

Post by bnoft »

I went thru the factory a couple of weeks ago and asked about the hull ( I own a 35 CB). I think the hull is solid below thw water line and has a core of some type of honeycombed material above the waterline.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I do not know any specifics. But I do know that the practice of coring hulls below the waterline was virtually abandoned by all manufacturers after about the early 80's. The only notable exception is obviously companies that use variations on Boston Whaler's Unibod technique, which is quite different than traditional coring.

If would be pretty surprised if new Albins were made with foam below the waterline.
Steve Mulkey

Post by Steve Mulkey »

The link below is why I was asking the question. I have a lot of information from Albin but it does not address the question of construction. I'm just beginning my research into this subject - I have been looking at a lot of boats and believe the Albin 35 CB is what fits what I'm looking for but the cored hull question below the waterline kinda bugs me. I've seen some Albins for sale in the '95/'97 range that boasts of the thru huls being repaired and filled.

The Albin seems to be a solid boat but as I you said Mariner most mf'g's abandoned the technique.

http://www.albinmarine.com/Press/Airex%20Artical.html
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yes, but nowhere in that article does it imply that the foam is used below the waterline.

What would concern me more would be references on used boat listings to the through-hulls being redone. That would seem to imply that it is a necessary modification that some boats may or may not have done.

I think this is a question that can only be answered by Albin or their local dealer. If you get a definitive answer, please post it here so we can add it to our repository of knowledge on the boats.
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

1990 Albin 32 cored hull

Post by jruesr »

I am searching for an older Albin 32 to make into a Cruiser for my wife and I. I have looked at many albin boats.

John
Last edited by jruesr on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevediebold
First Mate
First Mate

Cored Hull

Post by stevediebold »

My understanding is that the bottom is foam cored but all glass around underwater fittings. The sides are all glass. The side decks are balsa cored.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”