• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bridge cover

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
med2alfa

bridge cover

Post by med2alfa »

What is the helm/bridge cover made of on the 32+2 and 35 command bridge models? Is it fiberglass/resin or a softer material and how durable is it?
Has anyone had problems with it from aging or weather related problems?
I'm looking at the CB style as a great fishing platform with the helm outside the saloon area. The bridge cover looks to be quite thin and maybe a tad weak.

Finally, how does all that canvas and plastic window material hold up to windy and cold late season conditions and how well does the enclosure keep the heat in?
bnoft

Post by bnoft »

I don't know what you would get from the factory. Mine is an aftermarket fiberglass hardtop with stainless supports. I have seen some soft tops and some made of starboard, these are not as sturdy as glass.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I could be wrong, but I would assume that any flybridge cover would be aftermarket and so the quality is entirely dependent upon the methods used by the builder and in no way universal to all Albins.
med2alfa

bridge covers

Post by med2alfa »

In looking at what pictures were available of CB's listed on Yachtworld, the covers all seemed to have very similiar framework and cover material. I thought maybe these were factory made. If I remember correctly, didn't Almar have some pictures of a damaged cover with subsequent repair? It looked quite thin and I wonder if this cover was from the factory?
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

32 cover

Post by AlMar »

My original top was a rubberized canvas over an aluminum frame. I replaced the canvas with non skid 1/2 inch starboard. In my humble Albinion, it looks good, has no leaks, and feels good underfoot. It's too early to advise how well it will hold up, but given the cost options when compared to quotes I got for fiberglass, I would do it again.
AlMar
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

We had the rubberized canvas on a substantial aluminium frame like Almar. It had an altercation with a cat 3 hurricane. The hurricane won.

We made a homebrew foam cored fiberglass top. Hate to think what the cost would have been if I had to pay myself for my labour.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
med2alfa

bridge cover

Post by med2alfa »

Both ideas look like winners. Certainly an improvement over rubberized canvas. I wonder who thought of that one? Definately a "planned obsolescence" item.
I kinda like Almar's idea because it looks like it comes with a boat load of fish!! :lol:
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Bimini tops are usually made of Sunbrella with a stainless steel tubing frame. This is the industry standard and can be bought from local fabricators around the world. Custom fiberglass tops are common as well, but the added weight up high can decrease stability when combined with increased windage when heeled over. Fiberglass tops should always be designed by a professional, and be removed in heavy weather.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

The rubberised canvas weighed a few pounds. The top in the pic weighs close to 100#. I have been asked if there a noticable difference in the 'feel' of the boat with the extra weight. I can honestly say that I cannot detect any.

The boat has endured hurricane force winds on a couple of occasions since the fiberglass top went on. No damage. For storm protection I feel it is more important to to remove the enclosure canvas & let the wind pass through. The top is not a wing. As long as the wind is straight line its sheer weight helps keep it in place. In my case the tower leg mounting points have been reinforced on the inside as well with pads.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

da roof

Post by AlMar »

I agree with veebyes2. I had concerns about the weight, but our 32's have a pretty low center of gravity thanks to the short hop to the bridge, and I have not "felt" any change in windage, or heeling with my new top. I too, remove canvass for storm ops.
AlMar
med2alfa

Post by med2alfa »

I saw a 30 something Pursuit the other day that had a fiberglas hardtop very similiar setup to the 32 CB, so I got a good closeup look at it. I would agree that the added weight would not affect the stability of the boat, plus it would provide a more solid mounting surface for "stuff".

Thanks for the info.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

Here are a few more of my top under construction. In the first post we were waxing the mold preparing for the first layer of cloth.

In the pics following the foam core is going in

Then there is the rough finished top ready for fairing & trimming

Many hours of work later we have a freshly Awlgripped top

An after thought, & one I am glad we did, was applying indoor/outdoor carpet on the inside to reduce engine noise.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”