• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6 BTA access room

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Galey
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gulfport

6 BTA access room

Post by Galey »

I am looking to buy a 32+2 and looked at one this week. Boat was fine performance wise....all I expected.
All engine numbers where they should be, maybe a bit over propped, but we had full fuel and 6 adults on board. It turned 2950 on its' tach. (The owner reported 12 GPH @ 2400 RPM's and that was not as good as I expected). My real concern was access to working on the engine. I got a bit of a
look by taking flash pictures (in the blind) and the pictures revealed areas that need attention I think soon. Probably general maintenance, but could clearly see that this work would be difficult to keep up due to tight (very tight) spaces. The V drive was very rusty although replaced in 04. So I come away with an opinion that a very good vessel's achilles heel, is keeping the mechanical spaces up. I don't think I've seen other post really complaining about this, so maybe I have just not looked well.

Question: As I looked at the V gear (from the galley of course), I failed to see if there was another panel above that allows access to the turbo? The galley would likely be the only access, and I was never able to see it? Did I miss something?

Am I correct, or just overwhelmed?

Thanks for the replies,
Gale
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: 6 BTA access room

Post by Veebyes2 »

No, you can't have it all. The 32+2 is a remarkable & roomy boat. To get all that room for people sacrfices had to be made. The engine is awkward to get to, especially with those large fuel tanks either side. Getting at the raw water pump is a pain too.

Hopefully this winter I will get at mine & haul the engine, clean & paint, replace hoses, remove tanks & see about making them smaller.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

If you are concerned about maintenance access, as I am, you should look at one of the origional 32 Sportsfish models. The boat has had an evolution that changed the balance of the boat and also significantly decreased the maintenance access that was designed into the original boat. In 1989 and 1990 the boat had a secondary gearbox that was located forward. There is a drive shaft connecting the small reversing transmission with the gearbox. The transmission change moved weight aft. The cabin wall was also moved aft also moving weight balance aft. Diesel generators also became common. They were installed in the aft section as well. The galley equipment was moved aft to the aft stateroom and the table etc. Now if this did not create a need for added buoyancy in the aft section I do not know what would. Thus the need for the 32+2 to support the new changes in the boats balance.

The origional boat has good maintenance access. When the cabin wall was moved aft, the access to the turbo, filter, and about everything else was compromised. Everything but the Cummins water pump has good access (that is ipossible). I maintain my own boat and can get to everything relatively easily.

I was able to remove the engine, transmission and both fuel tanks without cutting the fiberglass. New tanks were installed and the engine replaced without altering anything. The aftercooler is easily removed for service as is the main heat exchanger, turbo, air filter, exhaust elbow, alternator etc.

I do however agree that you cannot have everything on a boat. The interior of the newer boats have features that many people really like. I however like my 32. It was and is the right boat for me.

If you are looking for a great boat consider a 32.

PS: it has a 6 ft3 refrigerator freezer.

PS: Before the fisher 32 was the trawler. It had the hull extended like the 32plus two. I assume it was removed because it is a bad feature for a fishing boat.
Last edited by jruesr on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Post by flyboyjack »

I had the exact same thoughts. Here is a possible solution which I am going to explore,......

Since my turbo has decided to stop "turbo-ing" I really need access to the rear of the engine, etc.. I am going to examine the structural integrity and see if it will be possible to cut an access panel from the back of the dining settee. This would definitely make turbo maintenance and upkeep much easier. It would also make the changing of the tranny cooler,,. which I just recently accomplished over a full 2 day period If I cannot see any structural weakening, I will use a powerful dremel to cut thru the fiberglass bulkhead and then design a simple way to re-attach the back panel when work is completed.

Anyone out there ever done this?!

flyboyjack
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

This is a Cummins QSB powered '07 35CB. The removable hatch behind the dinette backrest is lined with insulation. Even with this dinette backrest access hatch that turbo could be a challenge, especially if any bolts need drilling and tapping, but definitely doable. Keep us posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

Hey Rob,

After looking at the bulkhead for some time,... I had come to the conclusion that it could be opened up with the reasoning that even if thee was a structural integrity problem, it could be remedied with metal supports/stringers. Since seeing your photos, I am extremely encouraged and will be proceeding out to the boat this afternoon with my "Roto Zip" in hand. I may even go larger than what you have just for the reasons you stated. (No wonder the turbos on these boats don't get much attention)! I will include photos on my next post with before, during and after.

Thanks again

Jack/flyboyjack
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I would surely buy the hatch assembly first so you can make just one cut out, and to the right size.

Also, when I do any cutting, especially with a roto, and especially in the cabin, I always have a helper hold a shop vac nozzle within an inch or two of the bit to eliminate dust going everywhere. Just make sure you have the dust filter in the shop vac or it just acts like a dust machine! (and you know how I know that :shock: )

Just my $0.02
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

Finally getting back to things.

It's been a whirlwind of stuff goin' on here. I cut the access panel into the bulkhead several weeks ago. (I know why these boats are soooo heavy,...I think some of the US Army tanks may have thinner bulkheads!!). Anyway, much to my chagrin after putting in a 10"x20" access panel, I still can't get at anything! There is a raw water cooling tube with about a 4" diameter that runs right thru the middle of the panel. I can see the turbo, but still can't even get a finger on it. I'm looking for a water-tight clamp that will allow me to cut out the mid section of this tube and then reattach using the clamps. (I'm guessing a boat yard or someone must know where I can procure one). The good news is he access looks great/professional. The bad news is it didn't help one bit.

Jack

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”