• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bad fuel tank 32 SF

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
CaptLee
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Jacksonville, Florida

Bad fuel tank 32 SF

Post by CaptLee »

I had my Starboard side fuel tank leak on my 32' Sportfish. I ended up cutting the tank out from the engine room because there was no repairing it. I was able to pump all the fuel (full tank) from my bilge to 55gal drums before it went in the river.

Has anyone else replaced a fuel tank on one of these? How did you do it? What options do I have? I am trying to avoid cutting the deck or pulling the engine. I will be doing the work myself.

I have considered 2 smaller tanks side by side in place of the one or building my own tanks using west system.
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bad fuel tank 32 SF

Post by mudskipper »

I replaced the huge original tanks in my 40 trawler with high quality poly tanks of 100 gal each. With my fuel requirements being modest and lots of places to 'D up this was a good solution. Not so much old fuel in the tanks and we were able to drain, cut out, and scoot in new poly tanks economically. Even with 2 ford lehmans I can travel three days between fuel stops if need be. Jay Aquarius
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

mudskipper wrote:I replaced the huge original tanks in my 40 trawler with high quality poly tanks of 100 gal each. With my fuel requirements being modest and lots of places to 'D up this was a good solution. Not so much old fuel in the tanks and we were able to drain, cut out, and scoot in new poly tanks economically. Even with 2 ford lehmans I can travel three days between fuel stops if need be. Jay Aquarius
Can you give us your fuel tank source?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psalbin43
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fall River, MA

Post by psalbin43 »

Hi CaptLee, I replaced my two 250 gallon diesel tanks with fiberglass tanks. I made my own but I am a fabricator of fiberglass tanks. Please do some research before you make your own. All resin systems are not created equal when it comes to holding fuels. I made mine of Derakane vinylester resin 470-300. One of the best for Diesel.

Good luck,
Paul
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

On my 'to do' list provided I do not sell the boat first. It is on the local market after spending the last 6 years on the hard.

The tankage is way too much for what is needed around here to the plan is to reduce the size of them considerably & gain some working space around the engine. Removing engine, repainting, replacing hoses & anything else found needing is also on that 'to do' list. The boat is in need of a good refurb.

Don't cut that deck. Since you are into major work with the tank you might as well follow through with plans like mine & finish with the whole area like new & troublefree for years to come.

Bits & pieces will need to be to remove the engine but with it gone working down there will be a whole heap easier.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

The tanks I used were from Moeller made in good old USA TENN. 100 gal. each. my marina used box they came in to check clearance after old tanks were removed. they had to build in cribbing for rectangular tanks. I also had them replace original motor mounts and true them up while we had the tanks out. All new CG approved lines and vents. After two years all is good. You can see fuel level through tanks, no rust even though I have the same leaks and drips we all have. Only complaint is that they bulge a little when full which skeeved out another fellow that my yard did the poly'O replacement on so bad he had them walled in. Like putting pack of gum on dash of the car to cover a lit trouble light :wink:
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

I replaced both fuel tanks on my Albin 32 , 1990. I removed the engine and transmission and the mounts and was barely able to remove both tanks without cutting any fiberglass. I took the old tanks (in tact, uncut) to a fabricator, here in cape coral area, and they made two new ones for me. The new tanks are slightly smaller than the old ones. This allowed them to be reinserted easily.

To albins credit, very few boats are built in such a way that the tanks can be removed without cutting up the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”