• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 32 most efficient cruinsing speed

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Joe
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lake Champlain, South Hero, Vermont & Venice Florida

Albin 32 most efficient cruinsing speed

Post by Joe »

I am planning a trip from Venice Florida to Lake Champlain in Vermont this coming Spring on my 1994 Albin CB 32. This will be my first longer trip on a new to me boat. What is the most efficient cruising speed? I've heard ranges between 7 and 9 MPH. thanks, joe
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Re: Albin 32 most efficient cruinsing speed

Post by jruesr »

Joe, I have an albin 32, 1990. My boat resides in Matlacha florida. I have done just about everything that can be done to this boat and could answer some questions if you want.

On the subject of fuel economy i would suggest that you get the data sheet for your engine. I do not know what engine you have and results would vary. I have attached the data for my engine (Cummins 370). Included is a curve that shows fuel consumption at varying rpm. I ran a test to see what speed I could get while running at different rpms, moving trim tabs etc. Then its easy to calculate miles per gallon.

For example, my engine (prop curve) consumes about 10 gal/hr at 2400 rpm, and the boat runs at 16kts (depending on conditions - tide-wind). That calculates to 1.6 nautical miles per gallon. I seem to get about that mileage no matter what I do.

You can calculate your mileage at different speeds if you get your engine data, test and determine the boat speed vs rpm curve for your boat, and do a little math.

I think you would do damage to that diesel if you ran at 8 kts for that long time. I would blow the cobs out at regular intervals for the engines will being.

Sounds like you are planning a real adventure.

Best Wishes
John
Passages III
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Anything up to hull speed will be good. Hull speed is easy enough to get an approximate handle on. When water is breaking away from the transom & before the hull begins to squat is close enough to hullspeed. Any faster & the consumption per mile reallly starts to climb.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

I made 2 similar trips from Stuart to NY in my 32. Fuel efficiency depends on several things: weather, tides, and, in my case most important, time. If you have plenty of time, a liesurely hull speed is the most efficinet; although you'll probably want to get up and go if it is rough or snotty. There are also some LONG stretches of the ICW that you may want to make time on.
In my case, I needed to complete the trip quickly; so we ran at cruising speed (15-16kts @2550 Cummins 330) burning 8-10 gals/hr. We wanted to put as many miles under the keel as possible, when we had good weather days.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”