• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Walters v-drive

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Sportfish
Swabby
Swabby

Walters v-drive

Post by Sportfish »

I am looking for some help with the Walters V-Drive on a 32 Sportfish 1991. It has a clunking sound at idle when in gear, once I get to 800-1000 RPM's it goes away? Has anyone had this issue or familiar with the V-Drive unit? I am running a LYA 315 UTE Yanmar, boat was repowered in 1998.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Can't help with that specific V drive but I am familiar with a clunking/rattle at low RPM. Weak or broken clutch springs maybe.

Had it with a Hurth tranny on my A27AC which had a Westerbeke W100.

I try to make a habit of NOT being in gear right at idle. I drive my Admiral crazy when she is on the helm through a no wake area. "Rattle Rattle Rattle" I tell her.

My 1996 32 has a ZF tranny. It makes a very positive 'clank' when it goes into gear but does not rattle like the Hurth did. I also have another boat with a Perkins & a Twin Disk tranny. It also rattles a bit right at idle.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
stagalv

Velvet Drive Gear

Post by stagalv »

I was on a 1989 32SF recently and it had a bit of a rough sound while in gear at clutch speed. It has a Velvet Drive (BW) gear... Can anyone give me advise on how that gear coupled to a 250hp Cummins V-Drive works out? Were those good gears? I don't know what brand the V-drive gear is. :?: :?:
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Re: Walters v-drive

Post by jruesr »

I purchased my 1990 Albin 32 sportsfish and have been working on it since June. It makes some low speed racket that I do not like. My sail boat had a mechanical transmission that made a similar noise. My transmission rebuilder (Transmission Marine - Ft. Lauterdale ) indicated that normally if the noise goes away when rpm increases that usually the problem is engine related and not transmission related. I did not believe it and had it rebuilt. Sound was a bit improved but still there and I have to agree with him. My new boat has a rebuild tag from the same rebuilder (whom I have complete confidence) and I discussed this transmission with him also. He rebuilt the unit. It was not in bad shape. He replaced all the bearing and wear parts. I think its just fine and will try not run the the boat at low rpm while in gear. I will be reading reply's hoping to learn more about the subject.

John
Passages III
Punta Gorda Florida
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

I have the answer to your question. It is a matter of squares and triangles. It's nothing unusual- let me explain- the v-drive has square-tooth gears. Your transmission has triangle teeth or some sort of spiral-grooved teeth on its gears. At very, very low rpms the v-drive will make that 'clanking' noise that you hear because of the differences in the types of gears. It's nothing to worry about. It's not bad for the drive either. However, your real concern should be why your idle is too low. This happens all the time when my Raycor fuel filter is dirty and time to be changed. I always know when it's time for a new filter when I hear the v-drive at low idle.

Hope all this helps!
fazsha
Swabby
Swabby

Post by fazsha »

Hi, totally new to the group. While it could be anything, I've had a low idle thrash, $800 rebuild later still there. Ended up being a missfire.
-Paul
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

The missfire would have the same effect on the torque as the dirty fuel filter that I mentioned. Anything that causes the engine not to generate the minimum amount of torque/idle will cause that clunking to happen. When my transmission was on its way out she would hesitate to shift into forward and when she did it was also at a torque and idle speed low enough to cause the Walters V-drive to clank. As soon as I had the new transmission installed my idle speed and torque were sufficient enough to spin the V-drive withouth the noise.

Once again, no damage is being done to the V-drive. It just cannot spin in-sync with the transmission at very low speeds due to the differences in the shapes of the gears in the transmission and the v-drive. Once it is spinning at the required minimum rpm's with sufficient torque to sustain the rotation the noise dissapears.
GrandAl
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Homer, AK

Post by GrandAl »

I had the same thing on my '90 Sportfish. Had the walters v-drive rebuilt, but didn't make a bit of difference in the noise(it's really quite loud). After rebuilding the v-drive, I assumed it had to be the pressure plate or transmission making the noise. I pulled the engine/transmission/vdrive/pressure plate in 2006 for a repower. Replaced with a Cummins 350 HP QSB and a ZF 220V transmission/Vdrive combination connected to the engine by a jackshaft with double u-joints as well as a new pressure plate(rubber blocks). Started it up, and clunk clunk clunk. Changed the pressure plate out to a higher end model, and the clunk is gone, but it's been replaced by a hydraulic whine at all RPMs. Seems to be acoustic issues with that engine/hull combination no matter what you do..

-david
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

I've had my 32 20 years; with a repower 6 years ago and V Drive (Walter) rebuilt at that time. Has ALWAYS had the clunking sound and still does. I find if I kick my throttle up 50 rpm, away it goes. It is harmless.
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

Well its now 2014 and my Walters V drive works great and I do not worry about it any more. Still clunks at low RPM. It works gread.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”