• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Aluminum Corrosion in Water Tanks

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
verynice II
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Old Saybrook Ct

Aluminum Corrosion in Water Tanks

Post by verynice II »

I have a 2002 32+2 CB with aluminum water tanks. Has anyone encountered Aluminum corrosion in the fresh water tank and waterline clogging?? Any remedies??
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Re: Aluminum Corrosion in Water Tanks

Post by Sanatee »

verynice II wrote:I have a 2002 32+2 CB with aluminum water tanks. Has anyone encountered Aluminum corrosion in the fresh water tank and waterline clogging?? Any remedies??
The aft tank in my 96 32+2 developed a small hole and leak in the v-bottom at the rear of the tank, possibly due to corrosion. I was able to barely reach it through the shower pump access under the galley table support. I cleaned, sanded, patched it with epoxy putty and it has held for several years. I don't know what you can do to prevent it other than make sure the bond system is firmly connected to the tanks.

Are you sure you have corrosion deposits, or just hard-water scale? I get a lot of scale which is mostly caught by the fresh water pump filter (after I see a drop in pressure!) You also need to periodically remove and clean your faucet aerators. I drain and flush my tanks at least once a year to try to eliminate some of the deposits. Good luck
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
verynice II
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by verynice II »

I am collecting whitish chips in the water filters. I sent the chips to lab for analysis and the results came back as primarily aluminum with a small amount of calcium. Those results indicate aluminum corrosion.
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Post by Sanatee »

verynice II wrote:I am collecting whitish chips in the water filters. I sent the chips to lab for analysis and the results came back as primarily aluminum with a small amount of calcium. Those results indicate aluminum corrosion.
Thanks....maybe I need to get my deposits analyzed. What lab did you use?
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Have you seen this post by Doug viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6643&p=39162&hilit=aluminum#p39162

Doug, how did you make out with this project?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
verynice II
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by verynice II »

Con Test analytical lab in East Long meadow Ma. 4135252332.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Have you seen this post by Doug viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6643&p=39162&hilit=aluminum#p39162

Doug, how did you make out with this project?
Follow the link for an update. More to come soon.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

My 32 developed a leak the 2nd year I owned it; I could only see the leak with a mirror on a stick. I cut the top of the tank off; lined the complete interior (I didn't want to lose any capacity) and made a new top out of starboard. Lasted for 20 years; and still was fine when I sold the boat. Thank goodness it wasn't a fuel tank!
Nordic Spirit
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by Nordic Spirit »

Well I hate to tell everyone this, but I just took out my aluminum tank in pieces to get it through the companionway. The inside of the tank on my 1992 Albin 32 would have made even the strongest gag. It was disgusting inside with corrosion, sand and black creatures. The other interesting note is that on my boat there is a low spot in the bilge that collected bilge mung for the last 21 years. So I don't know what was worse the tank or the bilge under the tank. Will be replacing the tank with 2 smaller plastic tanks and installing a pick-up in that lower part of the bilge.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”