• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins 370 glow plugs

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Cummins 370 glow plugs

Post by flyboyjack »

Trying to figure out if there is a light somewhere that doesn't work on our new/OLD boat that will tell me when the glow plugs are sufficiently charged for cold starts. If not is there a rule of thumb time y'all use to adequately heat them up?

flyboyjack
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: Cummins 370 glow plugs

Post by amber jj »

Watch your voltmeter.When you turn on the ignition key the voltmeter will drop significantly,hold the key until the needle pops back to normal which only takes a few seconds,and then push the start button.
I am assuming you have a separate ignition key and start button like ours.If not and you have a separate 2 stage key turn to ignition wait for meter cycle,then turn all the way to start position.
I hope this is the info you were looking for. Bob
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

That engine does NOT have glow plugs.
It has an intake air heater aka "grid heater". There are actually 2 of them, one one each side if the intake manifold.
Bob gave you good info on start operation. They actually will keep cycling on and off for several minutes until either the intake air temperature set point is reached, or until you run the engine over a certain rpm.
On a truck Cummins that temp point is 56 deg F, not sure what it is on a marine. I believe the rpm point is 900, but not sure. You can look those up in your op manual.
The grid heaters are not only for cold starting, they also help control/reduce start up smoke. Many owners unplug them as they draw heavy on the alternator since they run for a fairly long time after startup.
In any temp above 32 F the engine should start fine without the heaters should you decide to disable them.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Post by flyboyjack »

Thanks for both replies. I'm gonna look for the grid heaters. This being my first diesel, I did not "see" them during the sea trials and the mechanic didn't mention them. I do see the voltage drop to about 8-9 vdc upon key on. I had been waiting about 60 seconds to complete the start. Then at low RPM, (around 900-1000), the ammeter needle continues to cycle between 13-14vdc and 9 vdc until I increase RPM to about 1100. The previous owner said it was just "normal" ops and had no explanation other than the alternator charge cycle was merely cycling. Wish I had an ops manual.......

Jack
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

You can order one from Cummins.Just copy down the engine serial number and give them a call.It may be about 60 or 70 dollars but you will get tons of info.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

In Florida, I wouldn't bother waiting for the heaters. I would just turn the key. No need when the temps are that warm.
To find the heaters, look for a large wire attaching to them in the intake manifold. They have relays mounted low on the block, near the starter relay.
If you can't find them, post a couple of good engine pics and I'll point them out.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Hi all,

I have a Cummins 330 and, with our temperatures in the Northwest I wait for the heaters before I press the start button. The times I haven't, have resulted in a very hard start and lots of black smoke. In warm temps, waiting for the heaters probably isn't necessary. However, I have found them very necessary in the temps we have here much of the year.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

The 6BTA has the intake heaters and they run for 15 minutes or until the throttle is advanced to 950+ rpm.

I have installed the Wolverine 18 oil pan heaters. They do a nice job of pre heating the engines before I start them.

I got them at sbmar.com
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”