• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery chargers

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Battery chargers

Post by flyboyjack »

Hey folks,

This is the start of I'm sure many questions.

Here goes: Do you guys leave the battery chargers on 24/7 when moored/docked and the boat unused or do you merely turn off all the batteries until the next cruise/use? Any worries about "burning" the batteries out if you leave the chargers on full time? We used to have some great "pulse chargers" on the aircraft side of things that actually extended the life of my aircraft batteries at least 100% beyond what other operators got and what was "industry standard".

Second question, (and remember. there are NO "stoopid" questions): What does the "shower pump" do and how is it employed?

I have also come to the very quickly learned lesson that the (Vetus) bow thruster is a very much needed component in our CB. To that end, are there any preventive maintenance tips or potential repair/replacement items, (i.e. solenoids, etc.) I should keep on board to ensure the thruster will remain operational? (I tried backing down without the thruster, harking back to my inboard/outboard days,... it was embarrassing,.... just glad there's no video).

flyboyjack
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Re: Battery chargers

Post by Dudley »

IF THE BOAT IS IN THE WATER I DO NOT CONNECT THE 110 VOLT LINE TO THE BOAT BECAUSE IT ACTS LIKE A POTENTIAL ELECTROLOSIS NODE AND MIGHT USE UP ALL OF MY ZINCS.

#2 THE SHOWER PUMP SUCKS THE WATER OUT OF THE SUMP IN THE FLOOR OF THE BATH ROOM. THERE ARE TWO SWITCHES FOR THIS PUMP. ONE SWITCH IS ON THE BATHROOM SINK AND THE OTHER IS ON THE MAIN BREAKER PANEL.

#3 YOU MIGHT CHECK THE BRUSHES IN THE BOW THRUSTER. THESE ARE THE FIRST TO GIVE TROUBLE. THE BRUSHES COST A FORTUNE FROM VETUS. MY LOCAL STARTER REPAIR SHOP REPLACED MY BRUSHES WITH A SUBSTITUTE FOR $12.00.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have always left my battery chargers on 24/7 as long as it is a modern charger that cuts the amperage once the batteries are up. Never had a particular issue with zincs
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Post by flyboyjack »

Thanks for your responses. I think I'll replace the brushes as preventive maintenance and then keep a set for my travel box. I knew about the main panel pump control,... not the one in the head. Thanks!!!

flyboyjack
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

When at the dock I'm always plugged in and charger on. Our dock electrical is modern and well grounded. Never an issue with zinc anodes.

Sump takes the water from the the floor drains in the head/shower stall and on some air conditioner installs the condensate drain goes to the sump as well while other installs send the condensate directly overboard . Check your condensate drain hose to see if the sump should be turned on when running your air conditioner.

On my Vetus Bow 55 the only thing that I needed to do was to replace the zinc anode on an annual basis.

Enjoy your new boat!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”