• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transducer mounting

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Transducer mounting

Post by flyboyjack »

My newly purchased 32/2 CB has two stern mount transducers. One is for a non-functioning Garmin sounder and the other is for my Garmin 541s. I seem to be routinely losing the signal during certain types of operations. I really don't want to cut into/thru the hull for a transducer install, but still think a shoot thru the hull application will suffice for depth monitoring when running. Has anyone out there mounted a shoot thru the hull transducer and if so, where did you place it? Any problems with the accuracy?

Thanks

flyboyjack
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Transducer mounting

Post by Tree »

I don't know if it's common practice but over here, we use a piece of bow thruster tube and mould it into the hull so it acts like a bottomless bucket.

We then full it with oil, something that is water soluble and put the transducer in there. That way you can use a through hull, over the transom etc.

Pack the top out with sponge to stop the oil from splashing in the bilge. Job done. No need for any holes in the hull and you get a perfect picture as you never get air bubbles on the transducer.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

That's along the lines what I was thinking. Was just a little curious if the "coring" in the hull would impede or change the signal frequency. Sounds like it doesn't/didn't. Did you have to change/increase the gain to get a good read?

flyboyjack
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Post by Sanatee »

flyboyjack wrote:That's along the lines what I was thinking. Was just a little curious if the "coring" in the hull would impede or change the signal frequency. Sounds like it doesn't/didn't. Did you have to change/increase the gain to get a good read?

flyboyjack
Some shoot-throughs don't recommend shooting thru a cored hull. Don't know how much impact there is, but I decided to stay with a thru-hull when I installed my new Raymarine system. It takes a little nerve to put a 2in hole in your hull, but it wasn't too hard to install.
Last edited by Sanatee on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

flyboyjack wrote:That's along the lines what I was thinking. Was just a little curious if the "coring" in the hull would impede or change the signal frequency. Sounds like it doesn't/didn't. Did you have to change/increase the gain to get a good read?

flyboyjack

Thats a good point about the cored hull, I didn't think of that as all the boats I have done it to over here have had solid hulls.

Otherwise, never had to mess about with the gain - the last boat had a HD fishfinder on her and that worked perfectly, even at 28 knots.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

I just spoke with the electronics guy. He was very reluctant to mount a shoot thru the hull transducer in my cored hull. He figured 2hours to cut a hole, mount it and pull the wires so I told him to go ahead as I'm not allowed to do any work on the boat while at the marina. I'm ok with that. I have heard that many manufacturers of cored hull boats set a solid fiberglass plate somewhere in the hull to accommodate a shoot thru the hull application. Oh well,..what's another hole in the hull?
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Post by Sanatee »

flyboyjack wrote:I just spoke with the electronics guy. He was very reluctant to mount a shoot thru the hull transducer in my cored hull. He figured 2hours to cut a hole, mount it and pull the wires so I told him to go ahead as I'm not allowed to do any work on the boat while at the marina. I'm ok with that. I have heard that many manufacturers of cored hull boats set a solid fiberglass plate somewhere in the hull to accommodate a shoot thru the hull application. Oh well,..what's another hole in the hull?
Just make sure he coats the exposed core with epoxy before bedding the thru hull. He should know that!
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”