• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Perko Switches

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Perko Switches

Post by flyboyjack »

Hey folks,

been a while since I've been on here. I've finally gotten our "tub" seaworthy, (or so I think), and with the good/better boating season here in southwest Florida fast approaching, Im still trying to muddle thru how to use my PERKO switches. I have three (3). One "house" battery, (number 1), one for starting, (or so I think), which is number 2, and a smaller battery for starting the generator, number 3. My question is how do I configure these switches for running and then maintain a charge while in port? (My first trip in it was the spring rendevous in Bradenton. Hooked up to shore power, turned on the chargers and ran on shore power for 3 days. I watched everyone leave and then went to start my motor only to find all three batteries were completely dead)! Other problems followed while in Bradenton, but no need to discuss now. Anyway I had all batteries on "ALL" for the entire 3 days. After getting them charged, I started and made it back home. I ran all three on the "ALL" posit, but I'm finding that probably wasn't the best way to manage the batteries and their use. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Jack
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Re: Perko Switches

Post by seasalt »

Jack,

I guess you were gone so long no one wants to talk to you anymore.

Welcome back

Ron
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ron,.... this boat keeps bitin' me

Jck
Deedee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Coal, FL

Post by Deedee »

Hello, Deedee from Miller Time (2004 35 CB) we met at the April rendezvous. Perko Switch selection. It was a mystery for sure as the previous owner put an extra battery in and so on. Bottom line - we had new house batteries installed with a new inverter (old one was starting fail charging and it would not invert) and something called an ARC that allows the inverter to share charging power with one of the batteries. We asked the people we used to please make a diagram of the battery wiring and a document on Battery Switch Options. We have three separate switches like you and all three have options 1, 2, and all. I know before we had this work done there was some kind of formula while traveling and at shore. Now they all stay on 1. And they will all charge properly whatever we are doing. So I'm finding out that there might not be a standard answer for the switch options.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate

Post by flyboyjack »

Hi Deedee,

Man, I'm getting soooo slooow in responses and reading my posts.

Thanks for the inputs. If it's possible, it sounds like we may have exactly the same setup. I used to run all 3 on "all". Lately, I've been trying running them all on "1"

I'm still fighting other battles. The fallout from the two surveyors I used when purchasing this boat has now topped 10 "boat units" (i.e. $10,000). To say I ain't happy is an understatement. Luckily I know from prior experience that boats can/are expensive,....still................

Jack

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”