• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor size for Albin 32 + 2

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
TomA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PUNTA GORDA FL.

Anchor for ALBIN 32 + 2?

Post by TomA »

The boat I just purchased came sans anchor. Any suggestions what works for other 32 +2 owners?
Tom
"Arrivederci"
TomA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PUNTA GORDA FL.

Anchor size for Albin 32 + 2

Post by TomA »

As a new owner the boat did not come with an anchor. Suggestions for style / weight from other owners of the 32 = 2 Command Bridge, would be appreciated.
Tom
"Arrivederci"
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Anchor for LBIN 32 + 2?

Post by joreyn »

I am planning on replacing my 33# Bruce with a 45# Mantus. Really, any of the "new style" anchors such as Rocna, Ultra, or Manson should be OK. Mantus has an anchor-sizing chart on their web site. I believe Rocna has a calculator. on theirs.

The key is to have an anchor that sets very quickly in a variety of bottom conditions, including heavy weed, and will reset if it is disturbed as in a change in the wind direction. The Bruce style doesn't always set quickly or fully, I've found, and the Fortress style sets well in mud but not in weed and not if the bottom is rocky. I have both of the latter, and will keep them as backup, but after last summer extended cruise I want something that let's me sleep well.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: Anchor size for Albin 32 + 2

Post by mike66 »

Oh oh here goes a lively discussion! I would suggest a Rochna or Manson Supreme in about the 40 pound weight (or more if you anchor in rough or windy areas). Both are very highly rated. I have the Manson on my 40' trawler with all chain rode and it sets and holds great. I saw a youtube video somewhere showing it set.
Last edited by mike66 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

When I had my "ex" an older Mainship trawler, I used a 20 Danforth with 13 ft of chain and 5/8 nylon 3 strand. Never dragged in 14 years of ownership.
No matter what shape anchor you like, I don't think you need 40 pounds of iron.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Certainly it is most important to have adequate ground tackle for emergency deployment in your cruising waters but you must also consider your anchoring plans. Are you just having lunch on the hook or dropping the hook for fishing? OR are you leaving the boat unattended while you go off exploring in the dinghy or ashore via water taxi. Or sleeping on the hook. If it's any of the later you will want some serious insurance or you will never be comfortable away and nor sleep right. Insurance comes in the form of chain IMO. I added mucho to both boats and the difference is tremendous.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I have to respectfully disagree on the weight range for your boat. I don't think many people complain about their anchor being too big, unless they don't have a windlass. It does matter how the boat is used as Rob said; there are times when I am off the boat or sleeping when the wind comes up to 30kts and I wish I had spent the extra money to go up a size. That being said, our Manson grabs every time and holds well with wind direction changes.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I was taught old school at sea and was told its the weight of the cable (chain) that holds the vessel and not the anchor. A 8,000 ton ship would have an anchor weighing around 8 ton.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

mike66 wrote:I have to respectfully disagree on the weight range for your boat. I don't think many people complain about their anchor being too big, unless they don't have a windlass. It does matter how the boat is used as Rob said; there are times when I am off the boat or sleeping when the wind comes up to 30kts and I wish I had spent the extra money to go up a size. That being said, our Manson grabs every time and holds well with wind direction changes.
That's what makes the world go around. :D
I've been thru scores of storms and ovenights in my Mainship where the 22 held with out issue. Many nights it held 2 Mainship 34s.

On my current 40 Albin yes, I have a 35 HT Danforth on all chain as my primary with a 44 Delta as backup. The Albin trawler has much more windage and needs the iron.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Danforths are great when they hold, but they can be tricky in a wind shift. We were anchored in the Chesapeake once when the wind shifted, the Danforth picked up an oyster shell and jammed, the anchor just skated across the bottom. I couldn't figure out what happened until I pulled the rode in to reset. Good thing it was early evening and we were on deck when we noticed the boat drifting toward shore.
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

Lots o. Chain is good, but if you get stuck with no bolt cutter on board and need to move quick, a length of nylon at the end can be cut. It also gives you some stretch. I Always keep a serious sharp knife on the pointy end of the boat. I Got two 40 lb danfourths from PO.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

mudskipper wrote:Lots o. Chain is good, but if you get stuck with no bolt cutter on board and need to move quick, a length of nylon at the end can be cut. It also gives you some stretch. I Always keep a serious sharp knife on the pointy end of the boat. I Got two 40 lb danfourths from PO.
I DO have a bolt cutter aboard with easy access in case of that emergency. I even tested it on a link of chain at the store before I bought it to make sure it could cut my chain. :D
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

This article in Boat US might be of help. http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazin ... horing.asp
We have also found that having plenty of chain is important.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

What I and many other guys do around here to prevent fouling is connect the anchor chain to the bottom of the anchor shank, then lay the chain along the shank and secure the top of the shank to the chain with a cable tie. The idea being if the anchor flukes do snag then by serious pulling, the cable tie will snap allowing the anchor to be pulled up backwards. My personal choice is the Bruce or Claw anchor as I find it resets quickly after the tide turns and holds well in most grounds.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

I read the link "kathysails" posted and a article in passagemaker about the same test, In the soft mud of the Cheasapeak the Highly touted Rocna anchors were not so good, For the mud its hard to beat a good ole Danforth, I spent 4 weeks crusing the Cheasapeake and down the ICW last fall anchoring out 80% of the time using a 45# CQR for our 36 trawler. Never had any problems. I belive the length of chain and scope have alot do do with how well any anchor holds. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”