• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Removing striping and lettering.

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
pocoloco
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Punta Gorda, Fl

Removing striping and lettering.

Post by pocoloco »

Hi, I just started this project. My stripes and lettering are badly chipped and faded. At first I thought they were tape..now not sure. I started with heat and a plastic razor blade..heat melted plastic. even the eraser wheel has been real slow going. It would be helpful if someone knew if it was paint or tape..and a way to remove them...this year!!
Thanks Al A
pocoloco
Deckhand
Deckhand

Re: Removing striping and lettering.

Post by pocoloco »

Well I found the striping and Logo are tape. These were baked on in the Florida sun for 15 years..the eraser didn't work..nor did chemicals.
I used a heat gun and Teflon scraper (important) and spent 20 hours on this so far. I have some burn marks so now have another project. I used high heat so try it on low..it may work..or hire a professional. The gel coat lady is coming tomorrow..ahh..boats
Al
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Petersburg, FL

Post by Farmer38 »

how did this end up?... need to perform similar task..

thanks,
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Low Country
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Post by Low Country »

I used a "high end" eraser wheel borrowed from a friend on my 1996 31 TE. It went OK.
A little slower than I had anticipated. 3-4 hours for the thin stipe.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

We had our removed by our detailer as well. They had to color sand the gel-coat to bring back the luster it was real bad and neglected for years.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
pocoloco
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by pocoloco »

Poco loco here..sorry I haven't read this lately.. After I removed the old striping there was a big color difference between the exposed snd unexposed areas. I really didn't burn the gel coat after all. I let the boat sit in the sun for a couple months and the brownish tint under the strpes became more white.
I had tape stripes made according to the dimensions but did not take the radius of the front into account. Neither I nor a pro sign guy could make that 31/2 in stripe lay down properly.
I have hired someone to paint it on now. I give up on the tape stripes.
Good luck..

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”