• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

32+2 Speed

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Re: 32+2 Speed

Post by rcwhite »

Assuming you have ruled out drag and aren't waterlogged or carrying a heavier than normal weight, it seems like you aren't developing full power and may not have been for some time if the prop was undersized to compensate. Did the engine reach the rated rpm at the sea trial?
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

I have a 32 sportsfisher with a Cummins 370 - it will do 20 kits. What is wot rpm for the yanmar. I thought it was 3800 rpm. I have many friends with yanmars in their 28's and I know that those engines cannot tolerate being over propped. Better follow up this issue with yanmar themselves.
nan1rik1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by nan1rik1 »

Have a 2001 32+2 with a Cummins 360 TDA on Long Island Sound for the last 5 years. I cruise @ 2500 RPM and get a steady 14.5-16 knots. With tide and wind I get a steady 16.5. Boat has a hardtop and full Isenglass enclosure and speed the same regardless of open or closed canvas. Engine has about 1350 hrs on it and is serviced regularly. About the smoke, had the problem and started using Lucas diesel fuel conditioner every time that I fuel up, about 1 quart to every 100-150 gallons. No more smoke!, I've been told that it cleans the injectors.
Am presently having prop refurbished after catching a rock and will try to find out more information on the prop as I can. All I know now is that it is 4 bladed with 2 of the blades now damaged.

I will throw out a question, gas mercruisers require heads, risers and elbows serviced every few hundred hours and the engines seems to need total replacement by 700-800 hrs. Do diesels require the same type of head, riser service? I know that lifespan of engine is longer (lots longer) than gas but is that with or without riser attention.
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Petersburg, FL

Post by Farmer38 »

Hi Folks - So I am older wiser and a bit more daring, or something... We are in full prep for a Bahamian Christmas expedition. Getting a certified Yanmar and Norther Lights tech to (re) do the 2000/900 hour service the last tech just gave lip service to (and billed heavily for). Installing new batteries (ouch!) and ticking off a long list of to-dos before we take off in early December. Between now and then, we plan on a number of shakedown cruises to see what else I can 'learn' about our boat before we cross over, and parts are hard to come by. We have has some really great mini trips so far!

Anyhow - last weekend went out for an overnight and interestingly my tach stopped working. I'm sure (hoping it is something simple) we can address the sender or what ever with the engine tech, but it was a good lesson to run the boat with watching oil pressure, water temp and really listening to the engine. For grins, I pushed things a bit more than I had, to see what was happening with speed since my last excursion to the top end of things. I'm thinking maybe I was just being chicken in earlier tests?... With tide and wind at my back - I achieved 18+ knots top speed at WOT. Could cruise easily at 14 - 16 knots, shy of WOT and with water temp staying nicely in the middle zone. I imagine some of my hesitation in the past to push things hard may have had to do with fuel consumption curve? I'm not sure why I'm seeing such a difference. This was BTW with a full water tank! and 1/2 fuel. I was planning on 1/2 water, but left the hose on a little too long while prepping.. We have been getting the extra crap off the boat, perhaps I've taken off more weight then I imagined.. Dunno, but I'm feeling better about it... Thanks!
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”