• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Location of fluxgate compass

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Deedee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Coal, FL

Location of fluxgate compass

Post by Deedee »

We have a 2004 35 Albin CB and wanted to post this information as an FYI in case you need to locate your fluxgate compass.

Had an issue with our Simrad autopilot and Garmin GPS not interfacing with each other after two years of working great. (70-80 degrees off.) So we needed to check and make sure nothing was interfering with the compass. For HOURS we searched and here’s where it was – in the head under the sink behind the screwed in cabinet!

I know they're all different but possibly this is where Albin installed your fluxgate compass.

And when we had the unit checked it worked perfect! We couldn’t duplicate the error that happened to us twice while traveling to and from the Keys. Possibly there’s another Bermuda triangle in the Keys?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Location of fluxgate compass

Post by Russell »

If there are any wires or pump motors near the compass they will put out a magnetic field when activated. Years ago my boat turned 90 degrees when my wife ran the water in the galley. The power wire for the pump ran near the compass and I had to relocate it.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Location of fluxgate compass

Post by Pitou »

Following up in the same direction as Russell, I've had a couple of experiences over the years with the autopilot taking a hard out of the ordinary turn in the almost 90 degree range. At one such time the microwave was turned on and another a fishing reel was stowed near the fluxgate compass. The microwave incident certainly was a surprise, but after thinking about it this was not in the norm when the compass was first set. Any deviation from when the compass was originally set will create somewhat to in some cases a significant change in heading. Just try to be careful of placing new metal objects within 3 ft. of the fluxgate compass or trace down the problem from a condition that is occurring at the time of change and make permanent adjustments in the future. Best of luck in trying to duplicate what happened and finding the future remedy.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”