• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Next boat - anyone have experience with the Cat 3116?

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Carlprs
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Marblehead ma

Next boat - anyone have experience with the Cat 3116?

Post by Carlprs »

Hello. I'm looking at a 1997 32 +2 with a Cat 3116 350 hp 1600 hrs. I know about the rep of this engine but I'm told most of the problems are in the past. It seems most of these boats are powered by Cummins. Does anybody have experience with a 3116 in a plus 2 or is this an odd ball set up ? Thank you in advance.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Next boat - anyone have experience with the Cat 3116?

Post by DougSea »

Hi Carlprs,

I edited your subject line to see if something a bit more specific would get you some replies.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
MayhemII
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Merritt Island

Re: Next boat - anyone have experience with the Cat 3116?

Post by MayhemII »

Hi,

I have a 3116 in a 1999 with similar hours. I believe there are many out there in 32+2's. Purchased boat 20 months ago and been to the Abacos twice (700 miles and 600 mile trips). I run out to fish in central Florida a lot as well when not cruising. Engine runs great and have not even had a hiccup. The 32+2 cruises at 13/14kts and top (clean bottom) around 18kts to 20kts. Prior to purchasing the boat, I did a lot of research on 3116's. I was looking at similar size sport fishers with twin 3116's too. Parts are easy to get from Cat and are reasonably priced. And there are plenty of mechanics around who know these engines. Just find one and take him/her over to run the boat. I have a local guy in Florida where I am who worked for Cat for 20 years, he looked over mine for me as well as taught me to do all the standard maintenance. Couldn't be happier.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”