• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

automatic fire extinguisher

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Petersburg, FL

automatic fire extinguisher

Post by Farmer38 »

Hi Command Bridge friends.

Happy Thanksgiving!

As we are working hard to finish up projects and start provisioning for our travels to the middle Bahamas region for a six week adventure this winter, I had a conversation with a friend who was surprised we did not have an automatic fire extinguisher system in our engine compartment. I'm looking at a few systems now and (swallowing hard on teh prices) am wonder A: has anyone here installed one? If so which one FireBoy etc.? B: What size do I call the engine compartment? 350 sq's? 450 sq's? More/less? Obviously don't want to undersized, but don't want to pay for overkill either? C: is installation tough? Seems an auto engine kill and perhaps air intake dampers are required... Input?

Thanks!
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: automatic fire extinguisher

Post by Farmer38 »

Strange and earlier search didn't turn this up but a subsequent one (on another subject) did
Board index ‹ Everything Albin ‹ Command Bridge 32-45 ‹ Fire Suppression System

It's a start. Still not sure how to calculate engine room size on a 32+2.
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

unfortunately until you get in there with a tape measure you wont know what size you need I don't know if there is an easy way to do it without measuring. overkill is never overkill when it comes to a boat - you don't want to have a fire offshore and not be able to put it out. engine kill system at least seems like a good idea. I don't know that you need air intake dampers tho, too many other ways for oxygen to get in there
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Farmer38 »

Thanks!

I suppose we are looking for volume of air. So hull minus some allowances for the engine mass, fuel tanks etc.. It is hard to imagine being able to really starve oxygen.. everything is very open throughout the vessel. .
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I am also looking for an automatic fire extinguisher for my Albin 28TE.
Seems to be required for charter boats as per the USCG.
Looking at the smallest Fireboy, 25 square feet.
Anybody installed these on the 28TE, if so, where..?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

On second thought, the machinery space on Albi 28TEs are probably a bit more than 25 cubic feet as all the bilge, battery and underdeck space should be included, not just the engine box.
Perhaps as much as 200 cubic feet?
This a 200 model, a bit pricy, but good insurance..
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=2660219
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Post by jetter »

There is no point installing the extinguisher unless you also install an automatic engine shut down. A diesel engine will suck the suppressant into the engine and blow it out the exhaust leaving the fire to burn. I installed a 275cf unit on my 28. Fire on a boat is the more terrifying than the biggest waves.
Russell
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

jetter wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:09 pm There is no point installing the extinguisher unless you also install an automatic engine shut down. A diesel engine will suck the suppressant into the engine and blow it out the exhaust leaving the fire to burn. I installed a 275cf unit on my 28. Fire on a boat is the more terrifying than the biggest waves.
Makes sense but I would guess the halon or whatever they are using nowadays would kill the engine for lack of oxygen..?
Will look into it anyways, thx.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I had a Fireboy with automatic shutdown installed in my engine box 28. This unit was installed by Albin at build, but I have no notes as to its sizing. Here are a couple of pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Here are a couple of pictures.
Thx Kevin.
Did you request the system as an option, or was the boat being built for commercial use?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Norseman wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:37 pm
. Here are a couple of pictures.
Thx Kevin.
Did you request the system as an option, or was the boat being built for commercial use?
At the time of build, the fire extiguisher system was a standard Albin option though I don't think many were built out this way.

I was the fortunate 2nd owner of a very optioned out boat and took possession of a 2 year old 28 with only 82 hours on the clock. The previous owner was awaiting delivery of a custom ordered 35 Command Bridge from Standish in RI where my 28 had been traded to.

I tried blowing up the original picture to get part #'s off of the canister, but the resolution fell apart.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Thx Kevin.

To answer my own question: An automatic system is not required on a UPV. I misread the requirements on the USCG page, it says IF you have a fixed system on a boat between 26’ and 40’, then you can reduce the number of portable bottles by one.
Whatever, not going to install a system, but it would be prudent to have a loud fire/smoke warning system down there in the basement.
Will look for one of those instead. Perhaps even a household one with a 5 year Battery would work...
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

I have a factory system on my 2000 32+2, but it doesn't look like it was ever maintained since installed (still has a hang tag with just install date info on it, no follow-up recerts). I'll be looking to install a new one at some point, so if anybody has sizing info, please share. Given the factory building errors and mistakes I've corrected so far in 16 months of ownership, I'm not sure I should trust Albin's original calculations as to what sizing is needed.
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Regarding 'recerts' when I asked Travellers what needed to be done to my Halon system to keep them happy they said to check the weight annually. There is a tag with the original weigh listed, if the weight is the same all is OK. I put teh tank on a scale and take a picture as evidence. FWIW. Trav
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

Thank you for that!
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”