• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A34

Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Re: A34

Post by Ron222 »

Bill, Welcome and congratulations to the world of A34 boating. We also love our 1986 A34 Paumanok. We have had her for two seasons. The great part of the boat is space, comfort and liveability. I have the Cummins 210 and spent two years finding and fixing leaking ports and stanchions and throughulls. All ports had to be removed, rebuilt and the balsa core dug out. A section of deck was also rotten and leaking. I am convinced Albin's leak when they came off the "assembly line". Anyway, the boat cruises at 10 kts and up to 14-15 kts if needed. We burn 4.5 g/hr at moderate cruising. Unfortunately we won't be able to join you for about two years when the serious boating begins. Stay in touch and let's keep exchanging information.
Ron
A34, Paumanok
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Ron 222 Found the Grey Goose on Yachtworld. Was not quite sure what the 34' model looked like. Must say it is a roomy nice looking family boat. Congraulations and enjoy this beauty.

Some say is a bigger 27'. Maybe so but it is impressive whatever it's original starting point.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Anacortes, WA.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Veebyes 2: Yes, there two 35' TE Sportfisher's in the group to my knowledge. Nibbles is a Sportfisher model with the flybridge. Charles Waygood the AOG Moderator in Florida also has the same boat essentially. Charles has the Up Gallery series while my boat is the Down gallery but both are the Sportfisher Series.

There are several 35's in the group. I am curious as to whether their are other 35TE Sportfisher Series in the AOG.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Anacorters, Wa.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

I was just commenting how much the 34 looks like the A27 which I own. I'm actively in the hunt for an A34 as soon as I find a new home for my A27. Interestingly, I did a complete swap out of my Beckson Ports. I see from the for sale A34s have the same pernicious issue. If anyone ever wants to downsize feel free to drop me a PM.

2nd point: man the interior of your A34 sure looks like the interior of the A34FC
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

RNummi -

Good luck in your search for an A34. There is an A34 (Nancy) without the flybridge at Kingman Yacht Center in Catuamet on Cape Cod, where we keep our boat Paumanok (on a mooring). She is not for sale but is Hull #2 and looks exactly like a BIG A27 FC. We had been seeing her for several years when we were up this way on vacation in our own A27 Willet. In fact, we liked the way she looked so much that we drove up to see her when she went up for sale. The broker assured us that we would be able to get aboard. Her owner had taken her to Nantucket by the time we arrived (the broker negelcted to tell him we were coming and neglected to tell us that the boat was gone!! We were ticked but a month later found another one (with flybridge) in the marina right next to us in Westbrook CT. Paumanok is a 1986 model, Hull #4. We have made several modifications and upgrades over the last 7 years but love her and find living aboard for weeks at a time very easy. Keep us posted on your search. BTW, Have loved following all of your arduous endeavors with your A27 (we had ours for 10 years before moving up).

Marcy K
A34 Paumanok 1986
Redbrook Harbor, Cape Cod
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Molly B
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Mathews, VA

Post by Molly B »

Many years later (2018) I will join the party. I bought an A34 last fall in Maine. Seems lots of folks call it a motor yacht. I call it a trawler. Yes, Cumins engine, fore and aft cabins with heads. Mine has a short hard top and a flying bridge. Hope other A34 owners are still out there. When I figure out how to do it, I'll add a picture. As I understand it the "33" is like the "36" etc and not at all like our "34".
Molly B
Recess
Mathews, VA
RECESS
34' center cockpit fly bridge trawler
Chesapeake Bay
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Molly, to upload a photo, use the Full Editor & Preview button at the bottom of this screen. (Don't use Quick Reply - no photo capability there.) Then follow the instructions I emailed you.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Molly B
Mate
Mate

Post by Molly B »

image.jpeg
This was taken in Maine when I bought her. Haven't had to do anything except change the oil and filters and paint the bottom. Got a slow leak over the aft head sink. Undoubtedly a portlite. I'll get on it when it warms up. Right now it's snowing (March 12, 2018)
Molly B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RECESS
Chesapeake Bay
Molly B
Mate
Mate

Post by Molly B »

It seems A34 owners fell off the map some years ago. Is there still anyone out there? I got my A34 in October 2017 and would love to get ideas for upgrades, etc.
Molly B
RECESS
Chesapeake Bay
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Marcy K »

Hi Molly,
Welcome to the world A 34s. We've owned Paumanok since 2009 (had an A27 for 10 years before that) and are pleased with performance and accommodations, we live aboard for weeks at a time. She is on a mooring at Kingman Yacht Center in Cataumet on Cape Cod in the summer and at the Sandwich Marina at the east end of the Cape Cod Canal in the winter. We are hoping to go to Maine this summer. Normal cruising is to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Cuttyhunk, Block Island, Provincetown and other local places.

Our boat is unique in that I've never seen another like it. She is a 1986 model - Hull #4 with a full flybridge and saloon enclosed with canvas and isinglass, making the interior very light. We are in the process of installing solar panels this winter. Think there are some pics of her on this forum somewhere. Our Cummins 210 turbo engine was overhauled in 2015 and a new riser installed last year. Where in ME are you located? There is another A 34 at our marina, "Nancy" is Hull #2 and does not have a flybridge, she does look like a BIG A27. Good luck with her.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Marcy K »

Molly,

Just realized that you bought her in ME and brought her home to VA. Please let us know if you do decide to come back north this summer. Would love to see your boat.

We've added an Atlantic arch to to hold the radar, antennae and mast light - we can lay it down to get under low bridges. Also installed an Isotherm plate in the ice box (after adding a lot of insulation) making it able to hold food frozen for weeks at a time using very little electricity. We installed a Honda 3000 on the flybridge and built a removable enclosure with a teak top to keep it covered when not in use and letting it serve as a cocktail table. Added a shower on the swim platform too.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Molly B
Mate
Mate

Post by Molly B »

Thanks for the response. I had read your posts and am hoping to pick you brain as we get going again this spring. As you see from the photo we have a short hard top, canvas/isinglass enclosure and flying bridge. I love the idea of your arch. I, too, and interested in putting a holding plate in the icebox. How much insulation did you need to add. I've put ice in it and had it last pretty well. Please tell me more.
Molly
RECESS
Chesapeake Bay
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Marcy K »

Molly,

I'll get more info on our many projects/improvements including a rudder modification that allows our auto pilot to work even with a following sea - making long distant travel much easier (our longest continuous run was a 10.5 hour 100+ miler). The icebox/refrig/freezer has worked out extremely well keeping meat frozen for a whole trip while using very little electricity. My husband Ron will post soon with the details. we'll also post pics to help you see what the end result is like. I think you'll really like the boat; the layout works for us and we also are appreciative of being able to travel at 10 its vs the 7 - 8 kts of most other trawlers.

One other project was to remove the forward head toilet and replace it with a "Dry Flush". The slightly upward run to the holding tank from that toilet just wasn't a good design. Good luck and we will post soon for you.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Molly B
Mate
Mate

Post by Molly B »

Again, thanks. I'm looking forward to all you help. My first project is to add a windlass. I bought a used Delta anchor fron Craig's list to add to the Danforth. There was supposed to be a Fortress, but it didn't convey.
Molly
RECESS
Chesapeake Bay
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Post by Ron222 »

Bow.JPG
Salon.JPG
Paumanok at Dock.JPG
Hi Molly,
I heard from Marcy that you purchased an A34. Congratulations. As you already heard we love this boat for many reasons: 1. Paumanok has lots of room for two to live aboard for several weeks, 2. We cruise at 10 +/- kts which is perfect for us (not too fast; not too slow). We can travel up to 13 kts, if necessary. 3. Our engine (Cummins 6BT 5.9M, 210hp, turbo) burns a comfortable 4-5 g/hr depending on sea conditions and speed which is reasonable, and 4. We feel like a sailboat since we almost exclusively sit at anchor or moor (rarely tie up to a dock during the summer). I am forwarding a few pictures of Paumanok to show what how we spend our spring, summer and fall.

I know you are interested in learning more about the improvements we made since buying Paumanok in 2009. Since this will take lots of time and much longer messages than I can compose at this time, I will just list the things you might be interested in hearing about:
a. Modified rudder and fabrication and attachment of bronze angle stock to correct steering
b. Installation of the Great Water Marine Systems Isotherm 2057 SP Fridge System to keep food frozen using minimal electricity
c. Installation of new Vetus 75 Bow Thruster to allow the boat to be moved when there is a wind, and
d. Installation of Atlantic Tower to move the radar unit from belly level to a higher location and allow for better range for electronics .

I know you are looking at installing a new windlass. We bought and installed a Lewmar Pro-Fish and like the way it works and looks. Very powerful.

I hope this helps. Next week, I will try passing along more detailed information about the above list. My job now is finish installing 200 kW of solar (2-100w, flexible, Go Power panels) on the forward cabin top. BTW, Paumanok came with a King Air A/C Unit that took up a very large amount of space in the bilge. I took it out last week and now have lots of room for additional house batteries. The solar will keep the batteries charged without needing to turn on the generator (3kW Honda on the flybridge) a couple of hours daily.

Ron Klattenberg
Paumanok
Cape Cod, MA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “33/34”