• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A34 Propellor Protection

Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

A34 Propellor Protection

Post by Ron222 »

First, Let me say I am extremely happy to see that the A34's will now have a blog site to exchange information. Whoever set it up...thank you. For all A34 owners, my wife and I are the proud owners of a new (old) 1986 A34, hull #3. I am beginning a long winter to replace hoses, install a new holding tank, add new water tanks, dig out rotten balsa core around all the ports and deal with many additional subprojects. I need help with a big issue that concerns me about the A34 design. Why was the propellor installed so that it is lower than the keel ?? In fact, there is a one blade difference in the tip of the prop and lowest point of the keel. In Long Island Sound it is easy to hit a submerged tree or lobster pot or find soft bottom when gunkholing. I am wondering what have other A34 owners done about this situation? The boatyard where I am located for the winter said there is a stainless steel guard that can be installed to protect the prop. Does anyone have experience with a way to ensure the prop isn't the first thing below the water line to hit a submerged object. If you don't think this is an important issue that would also be very helpful.
Ron
A34 Paumanok
Middletown, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: A34 Propellor Protection

Post by jleonard »

Knock on teak but I've been boating and gunkholing for 20 years in LI sound area and never hit bottom that I know of.
So prop protection is important, but not the end of the world based on my experiences.
That said I'd probably do the project if I didn't already have a skeg.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “33/34”