• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Frozen Seacock

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Re: Frozen Seacock

Post by gfuller »

I actually just edited my last post mentioning "OCD" and referencing Rob :)

I've learned so much here in the last couple of weeks of Albin ownership and I'm very fortunate for such an awesome online community of like-minded friends. I find it incredible that even after the novelty has worn off from purchasing an Albin and having the "new to me" experience you all continue to support newcomers. Additionally, Rob has moved on to a larger, (non-Albin, (not cool Rob!)) vessel and still shares his wealth of knowledge and experience with us, just awesome!

I feel like I'm creating too many new topics but I'm trying to be diligent about searching before asking and hope situations like this help someone else out in the future.

To be honest, I used to walk by an Albin (charter 28 TE) on the way to my boat every time I'd go out and I loved the looks of the boat and even followed it in during rough seas while watching the crew filet fish in it's wake but didn't think it was financially feasible. I met a gentleman last year who had a very early 90's or late 80's 27' getting fuel at my marina. I again saw the boat and had to stop on the dock and ask him about it. He said it took him 2 years to find it, it came from Lake Champlain, it had a nissan "which is loud as hell and only does 12 knts") and he paid around $20k for it.

I fell in love with the 27 and considered selling my 2006 25' WA for something similar. 4 months later I have the 28 TE, so excited.

That is a beautiful part of the world you live in, Nancy. My parent's best friends had a camp in North Hero that I still dream of.
Yes - the Acadermy. Great school :) I started at Danville but they only offered so much.
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Speaking of Rob, have you seen any pictures of his bilge yet????!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The novelty has worn off your new boat? We're heading into our sixth year with ours - hard to believe it's been that long - and it's just now feeling less than new. Maybe that's because of our short season. Speaking of which, I'm really hoping the weather breaks soon. We usually uncover April 15-20.

OK, bad thread drift here - sorry.

You're doing fine on the topics - no worries.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

No No! the novelty has not worn off on me at all!!! I meant with you well seasoned Albin owners still contributing and how it hasn't!

I haven't even driven our new boat yet! I've seen the pics of Rob's 28 TE and it makes me want to vomit looking at mine.. Ok, not that bad but seriously, the guy knows how to take care of a boat. I literally bookmarked his post when he was selling it and labeled as "best example of an Albin" so I could reference it.

It's COLD... I'm hoping to be on the slip by May 1st.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I thought you removed that 90 degree tailpiece so you could soak with penetrant from the top down?

I wouldn't worry about the hole pattern, those are just screwed into the hull, not thru bolts, so once you remove the valve just fill the holes with the condiment of your choice and sand smooth and start from scratch. Everyone has their own methods and preferred products, but I would just bed the new flange in 4200 and not bother with the screws. BTW, that "green" area is solid glass, not cored.

As far as me "setting the bar" the only bar that comes to mind was with Nancy for "bilge cleanliness" with my Albin :D

And for my need/desire to replace them all: All of my seacocks were frozen on the Albin. She was not an abused boat but she was not a boat that received an ounce of TLC and she sat a lot with very little use. On the Chris 3 were original from 1974 and the others were these two plumbing store specials...
Washdown - Plumbing Store Special.JPG
Air Cond. - Plumbing Store Special.jpg
Looking ahead - if you have that oh too common white pvc sani hose don't reuse it on your new seacock. At least for now replace that length with Trident 101 and eventually when you're in "project mode" replace it all with the 101. It comes in black or white and is superior in every way. Even Peggy approves it :wink: I ripped out and re-deisigned the entire waste system on the Chris and used it, really great stuff... the bend radius and ease of fitting to hose barbs was a pleasure. The bend radius was important for my y-valve layout.
new seacocks and hoses.jpg
hoses and y_valves above the LWL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Just realized this thread had a second page - I had not seen the tree posts ahead of what I posted earlier this morning.. Too funny about the "clean bilge". Yeah, definitely keep the topics coming, with pictures! Nancy I think we're okay on the "thread drift", JT hasn't advised otherwise..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Rob, speaking of bars, one of these days, we'll need to meet in one. Nice hardware store seacocks, btw. The plywood base plate/spacer/whatever is an especially nice touch with the rusted handle.

G, Rob is right about the Trident sanitation hose although in our experience, it's not quite as easy as he makes it sound. The white version is #102.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

RobS wrote: If you end up pulling the seacock I highly recommend the stepped wrench from Buck...I've done many seacocks of all different sizes including all of them on the Albin and now on the Chris Craft and the tool is invaluable..

Amen! - Received this tool in the mail yesterday and it was a 3 minute job! Thanks, Rob.

Are the plastic ones above the water line easily removed from inside the hull? I believe they are just threaded all the way through with a plastic nut on the other side.

I'd like to get rid of these and put some metal ones in there.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Glad it worked out. Yes the side thru hulls are just like you stated, easy peezy to deal with, it's the access to some that can be a tad challenging.

I seen your fuel filter change post on BD. I would recommend changing after you splash her and run the engine. This way if for some reason you have a no start issue (VERY unlikely) it's one less thing to feel the need to dig into. And another thing - change the Racor element first and then run the boat. This will send any crud bursts from your Racor element swap to your old secondary filter, not your new replacement.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

This is excellent advice! Thank you, Rob!

BTW - are/were you running 10 or 30 micron filters in the Racor?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

BTW - are/were you running 10 or 30 micron filters in the Racor?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

gfuller wrote:BTW - are/were you running 10 or 30 micron filters in the Racor?
RobS wrote:30
I know that the Racor is considered a "Mud" filter, but why 30 and not 10?

I've always run 10's in my Racor and they have always been very clean minus a bit of black, but never the mud paste that I've seen on others. For me, running the 10 helps to keep my primary on engine filter much cleaner and I'd rather have the odds of a restricted filter to most likely be the Racor.
Last edited by Pitou on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Kevin, I agree. I replied with what I was using back then w/ the Yanmar . I do run 10's now with the 6B's.

gfuller, you can switch to 10's just keep 2 spares on board, they "may" clog quicker, which is what you want, right?

Good catch (pun intended)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Ok - I actually picked up a couple of 10 Micron filters not knowing what it had in it currently. I'll pick up a couple more and maybe a 30 if I get sick of changing them and keep em on the boat.

Thanks guys!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Instead of buying 30 micron filters, I'd put my money into a Vacuum gauge to be able to monitor the Racor filter condition. When it hits 10hg .. replace the filter. No guessing.

This unit replaces your existing T-handle (I'm pretty sure that you have a 900 Series turbine, but double check:
Racor Vacuum Gauge.jpg
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... id=3220545
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
mattkalla
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Diego, CA

Post by mattkalla »

Would anyone know the part number of the seacock Gfuller posted? My handle on my discharge valve feels like it's stripped and will move the valve either direction. Currently it's in the closed position , which is good I suppose. I am thinking the only solution is to replace the valve. I would like to user the same one since I could use the same holes and make that part of it easier. If there are other solutions rather than a haul out. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”