• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tachometer Sensor

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bruce
Deckhand
Deckhand

Tachometer Sensor

Post by Bruce »

Does anyone know the location of the tachometer sensor on the Yanmar 315 HP LPA series engine (2004 year)? I am having a problem with the tachometer in which it works normally for a period of time and then quits operating for the rest of the time cruising. If I shut down the engine and restart the tachometer will not operate. The next day it starts up normally and exhibits the same characteristics.

Bruce
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Tachometer Sensor

Post by RobS »

Not sure if you are en engine box for FD, engine box it's on the port side, FD it would be starboard. There's a sender at the flywheel housing, just behind the heat exchanger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Bruce
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Bruce »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a flush deck Albin and I found the sensor on the starboard side of the engine where you said it would be. Thanks again for the feedback.

bruce
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Bruce,

Do you have an update about this? We have a similar problem. Someone told me it was probably a faulty ground, but I sort of gave up looking for it. Since this happens so infrequently I have learned to live with, but should probably address it soon.

Cheers.
Bruce
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Bruce »

Elizabeth Ann,

I pulled the wires off the sensor and sprayed them with an anti-corrosion material and the tachometer is working fine. Other web sites have indicated that the most likely cause of tachometer malfunction is corrosion on the connector.

Bruce
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Great! That seems pretty easy and doesn't require a replacement part. Thanks.
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

I have a Yanmar 6LPA engine. My tach quit and we looked for three hours for the sender. The local Mechanic kept insisting it was on the alternator. Finally an off Island Mechanic came over and found the sender in 2 minutes. He cleaned the connector ends and it worked. The engine is turned around in the Albin so the sender is on the forward, port side of the engine as shown in the above picture, under the heat exchanger. I had heard that the sender counted the teeth on the fly wheel so I kept looking at the aft section of the engine. And I once knew that the engine was turned around.
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Rob you are the best
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Re: Tachometer Sensor again!

Post by Dudley »

see my post in October, 2011.. How quickly we forger.

My tachometer did not work when I got back to Sarasota from Maine. My Albin 28TE had been on a lift all summer. then three weeks later I took the boat out and the tach worked for 30 minutes and then quit again. On my way home I seemed to remember that it was a problem with the sender and not the tach. After looking for the sender in vain for 30" I remembered that there was a posting and I found Rob's picture. I sprayed anti corrosion solution into the connectors and now the tachometer works. Thanks Rob.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”