• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rendezvous Agenda

Coordinator - Lou Bennett (loubennett)

Moderator: DougSea

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Rendezvous Agenda

Post by loubennett »

I apologize for the delay in posting this. The rendezvous is less than two weeks away. We will follow the same basic agenda as last year. Here is the list of events/activities.

Friday 6/29 - Boats arrive. Check in with me on Quest.
Friday Happy Hour - BYOB coctails on boats and dock.
Friday Dinner - Informal groups form for dinner. Options are loca restaurants, picnic area at the marina, or on your boat.
Saturday 6/30 - Breakfast on your own.
Saturday 10AM - Boat handling talk by Mike Nelson (licensed captain and boat handling instructor)
Saturday 11AM - Tentative airconditioning talk.
Saturday lunch and afternoon - Visit the pool, walk through town, etc.
Saturday evening - Pot luck cookput in the marina picnic area.
Sunday 7/1 - Awards, socializing, boats depart.

I look forward to seeing all of you at Knapps Narrow Marina. It looks like we will have an excellent turn-out.

Note on pot luck cookout - I will supply hamburgers, hot dogs, plates, napkins, plastic ware, cups. I would appreciate someone volunteering to supply rolls and condiments. Others each bring a dish to share. Obvious choices are side dishes or deserts. Everyone supply your own drinks.

Please post here what you intend to bring. It will help to encourage variety and avoid too many duplicates. If cooking is not your thing, volunteer to provide the rolls and condiments.

Navigation Note - The channel entering Knapps Narrows from the Bay side is narrow and meanders. It is fairly well marked and be careful to stay in it. The water is quite shallow immediately outside the channel. It shouldn't be a problem for our boats, but sailboats regularly go aground.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Rendezvous Agenda

Post by jcollins »

The admiral (Sharon) will prepare her famous chicken salad. Voted #1 for many years by friends and family.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

loubennett wrote:I apologize for the delay in posting this. The rendezvous is less than two weeks away. We will follow the same basic agenda as last year. Here is the list of events/activities.

Friday 6/29 - Boats arrive. Check in with me on Quest.
Friday Happy Hour - BYOB coctails on boats and dock.
Friday Dinner - Informal groups form for dinner. Options are loca restaurants, picnic area at the marina, or on your boat.
Saturday 6/30 - Breakfast on your own.
Saturday 10AM - Boat handling talk by Mike Nelson (licensed captain and boat handling instructor)
Saturday 11AM - Tentative airconditioning talk.
Saturday lunch and afternoon - Visit the pool, walk through town, etc.
Saturday evening - Pot luck cookput in the marina picnic area.
Sunday 7/1 - Awards, socializing, boats depart.

I look forward to seeing all of you at Knapps Narrow Marina. It looks like we will have an excellent turn-out.

Note on pot luck cookout - I will supply hamburgers, hot dogs, plates, napkins, plastic ware, cups. I would appreciate someone volunteering to supply rolls and condiments. Others each bring a dish to share. Obvious choices are side dishes or deserts. Everyone supply your own drinks.

Please post here what you intend to bring. It will help to encourage variety and avoid too many duplicates. If cooking is not your thing, volunteer to provide the rolls and condiments.

Navigation Note - The channel entering Knapps Narrows from the Bay side is narrow and meanders. It is fairly well marked and be careful to stay in it. The water is quite shallow immediately outside the channel. It shouldn't be a problem for our boats, but sailboats regularly go aground.
Lou - Do I qualify for the most obnoxious skipper award I we find it necessary to leave at first light on Sunday. We want to be back home for the 4th of July.

Frank
"Sea Dawgs"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Frank - not after coming that far to attend. We will have to do the awards Saturday evening since you will likely get furthest voyage to attend. It's not a problem. Thanks for letting me know.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Just want to confirm Lou's comment about the channel. I have been through there several times recently and it has shoaled in over the winter. You really need to hug the markers. At the last red where it slows you to 6mph, make a fairly hard turn to starboard just keeping the small white marker on your starboard side.
See you all in a couple weeks!!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Carl - thanks for the local knowledge. I haven't been through Knapps Narrows in a long time. I just hear the repeated calls for a tow boat.

All others - it would be a good idea to print Carl's post and have it ready for reference when you enter Knapps Narrows.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I found this on Sailnet from a few days ago. FWIW...
I want to disspell some myths! The narrows here at Tilghman Island are very doable and rewarding but one needs to pay close attention. if you stay in the channel 6 foot depths are fine on all but very low tides but on lower tides you must be very careful, and the passage it well worth it. When entering from the west, "the Bay" stay to the right side of the marked channel and at the last red marker #4 You must be able to "leave your business card" on the marker. In fact if you are being pinched you can go inside this marker but you still want to be able to "leave your business card" on the marker this way as well. Leave your business card means, you can lean overboard and touch the marker.
After clearing this marker keep to the right side of the channel and stay clear of Tar Island. REMEMBER, THIS IS WHEN YOU ARE ENTERING FROM THE BAY OR THE WEST NOT FROM THE EAST OR THE CHOPTANK. Obviously when entering from the East/Choptank you must stay to the left for the channel and hug the "Red#4" and "leave your business card on it"! The channel is narrow and not in the apparent middle but follow these directions and you will fair well!

Knapps Narrows host a couple of marinas, restaurants and some inns. It is a great destination for a trip steeped in Chesapeake Waterman's traditions.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
dtmartin82
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Edgewater, Md

Post by dtmartin82 »

thanks, but sorry to say Tom & I are going to be unable to attend. Our dog has developed some issues and we do't want to leave him with anyone, nor travel that far with him. Hopefully we can make the next one. Thanks everyone, Debbie Martin
bob p

Post by bob p »

Lou,

Unfortunately Tammy and I will not be able to attend after all. My son and daughter in law will be having a baby two weeks early (induced). So while we would love to be there, we will be in N C awaiting the arrival of a grandson.

Bob and Tammy Padgett
O Bay Be.
gbudesheim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis,MD

Post by gbudesheim »

Lou, Pam and I will bring homemade pickled beets for our Saturday dinner side.

I wanted to let everyone know that the marina provides a continental breakfast each morning in the inn's common room for marina guests.

It was great to meet you in St. Micheal's on June 9th.
See you on the 29th.

Gary

Autumn Moon
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Post by Sanatee »

Lou

We'll bring a corn & tomato salad. See you Friday
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

I will bring a dessert. we are looking forward to it!

KathyN
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

I'm still looking for someone to bring hamburger rolls, hotdog rolls, and condiments as their contribution to the pot luck cookout. Any volunteers ?
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Lou, give us an idea of how many and we will bring the rolls and condiments along with some sort of covered dish.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

Double Post

Lou and All – It is with great regret that “Sea Dawgs” will not be able to attend. Our voyage is three days and it doesn’t look like sea conditions will allow us to run the required 75 miles in open water required to make the trip.
We were out of Barnegat Inlet this morning and came back in. To say conservatively my crew was somewhat scared and I had my game face on.
It doesn’t look like we will have any reasonable seas any time this week.
So sorry folks, we were really looking forward to the meet-up but we survived to look forward to next year.
BTW the 28TE really proved it’s metal. It handled really well in the slop.

Frank, Kimber,Donita,Max and Ernie “Sea Dawgs”

Return to “Sixth Annual Chesapeake AOG Rendezvous 2012”