• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2014 Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - Roche Harbor Resort

Coordinators: Dave Kircher (dkicher) and Howard Wells (whwells)
http://www.rocheharbor.com/
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Re: 2014 Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - Roche Harbor Resort

Post by dkircher »

Stephanie,

Thanks for arranging this. Terrific ideas. Denise and I are planning to attend.

Best wishes,
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
Markv
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Suburban Edison, Washington

Post by Markv »

I think I uploaded a google earth shot of the south west corner of Aleck Bay. Lat long are at bottom right. Our property (38 acres) begins about at the lower end of the sunny stretch of beach and follows the shoreline away from the sun, around the corner to somewhere approximately between the two boats. There is a cabin between the clearing shown and the water.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

MarkV,

Thanks! GPS waypoint duly entered. Dude, that's what I call livin' the dream!

In my mind's eye I can imagine your view while enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening must look something like this...

Being able to cruise to places like that is what inspired us to name our boat "La Dolce Vita"

Can't wait to see it in person! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

Mark,

Thanks for sharing the details for the Aleck Bay location. I'll be sure to send them to each of our participants prior to the rendezvous, in case they aren't regular visitors to AOG.

Thanks again for offering your great property for the optional part of the rendezvous. See you next month.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Unfortunately, we cannot commit at this time. As some of you may know, my wife and I had a baby last July, which hopefully explains our unplanned absence at last years' rendezvous (we were still in a baby fog and I completely forgot about the event due to sleep deprivation). This year there are two factors; Roche is just a little too far for us to tackle right now, and we have a conflict that weekend.

I am going to try to become more active on the site this year, and hopefully we can attend next year. Our little boy will be two by then, and we are really looking forward to getting him out for a "real" trip on the boat (ie, more than one night at a time, which is all we've managed so far).
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

Pete,

We are sorry that you won't be joining us this year. Understandable with your new family member. Howard and I are stepping out of the Rendezvous coordinators' role after this year. So if you or another of our NW owners are willing to step up for the future, we will be assured of continuing this tradition.

Best wishes,
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

SAT. CATERING IS BACK AND HAVE YOU CHECKED IN WITH ROCHE? HALSEY'S will do our catering as planned. Was just to good to pass and it appears we have enough boats to proceed.

Please be sure you have called Roche and secured your slip as a part of the AOG. Expect they will release any slips not taken two weeks before event as they have a busy summer all July weekends.

Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Stephanie: The farm looks like lots of fun. Good job of putting it together for the group. It looks like you will have good participation.
Pat has never been to Roche and two shorts days will pass quickly. She has a large laverender her at our home. We would be going just to be with the group for the most part.

Since our trip includes two long days of travel each way and we will start back on Monday at least at this point we will just hang around Roche. If Pat decides she wants to go I will surely come along.

Were it a half day we would just do it. However it will be a bit more than than. We are doing the Lopez Island and I don't know what time we will get to Roche on Friday. It is nice to have your help!

Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Pete: We will miss have you and family at the meet. However, understand a one year old would be a lot. Will look forward to your comments on the site and seeing you all next year.
Howard
Gmschuler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Edmonds

Post by Gmschuler »

Cheers from LaConner!
Greg & Stephanie Schuler
2002 31 TE
Blue Heron
Port of Edmonds
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

The Rendezvous concluded today and was an outstanding event thanks to our co-coordinator, Howard, who took over for me when Amazing Adventure decided to overheat keeping us from attending by boat. Following a major cooling system revamp, she'll be back in action in the next couple of days.

Fortunately, Denise and I were able to drive to the San Juan Island ferry and get to Roche Harbor to participate in some of the activities. The company was great, the weather absolutely perfect. Sunny, dry and in the 70's. We had our own activity barge, shared a happy hour and an excellent catered meal.

Again, Howard and his wife, Pat deserve major kudos for stepping up in our absence.

I am posting a couple of photos. That's Howard with the hose and John on his 36 ET supervising. However, I know that we had several photographers present and hope that others will add to the photo record.

Also, I am hoping that Howard and others will add to my summary of the event since I missed the Aleck Bay anchor out, the Friday happy hour and dinner and the Saturday continental breakfast.

We are now searching for a coordinator or co-coordinators for future rendezvous. In spite of an attempt by our Albin friends to draft us for another year, we are going to bow out. Of course we will provide transitional assistance and unsolicited advice!
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

Had a great time with everyone and look forward to next year in Kingston...unless it turns out to be somewhere else.

Jan and I went on to Rosario for a few days...spendy but relaxing and fun..then a few days at Friday with friends who drove up...then Jan went back to Portland and Sid and I made a 7 hour run up the Georgia Straight to Vancouver..rode the last of the currents for a few hours then the messy slack and on to heading into the current...still avg about 7-8 kn

Leaving False Harbor today..rain should clear by mid to late AM on towards Desolation and the Braughtons in a great boat!
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Lopez and Roche Rendezvous: Yes, it was a great time for all. Mark and Nancy's waterfront site was a highlight of the meet.
There were 5 boats there with calm wonderful moorage and a fine pot luck around the their outdoor fireplace. Lots of memories for us all. Greg and other took pictures which he plans to post. We all look forward to that.

At the Roche Main Event we had the barge/tent for gathering and the catered dinner. The Halsey' catered dinner was perfect! There were ten boats in attendance and Dave & Denise who's boat would have been 11 arrived Sat. by ferry. All had asked when they would arrive and pleased to have them get their.
Dave tells me the boat is now fixed and ready for their planned trip north although perhaps shorter than had been originally planned.
Roche was an fine meeting place and I for one am happy that a prior reservation had been cancelled allowing is to take the slot.
Otherwise they book about 3 years out.
We had 25 & 27 Classic's , 28'te's, several 32te's a 35te & 36 Trawler Albin's. Pretty good representation for such a small group. We had a boat from Az, Calif. and BC. and of course Wash. state members. Our BC attendee is a member of the BC Albin Group and we discussed a joint meet sometime in the future.

Likely we will meet in 2015 in Kingston with a pre meet at the Seattle Boat Show for next summer planning. John and Carol Reynolds are stepping up for this meet. Dave and I will be there to help and assist as needed. We do want to see this fine NW Group activity continue. One highlight of the Roche meet was a live group of singer's sent down by Carol & John. Wonderful performance.

Thank you Dave and Denise for all your assistance through the planning and event and for all those in attendance and Mark and Nancy for their lovely get away. Look forward to Greg and Stephanie's photos posting.

We had about 40.00 left after all expenses were paid. As soon as all the checks clear whatever is left will go to John Collins at AOG National for assistance in support of the national group.

whwells "Howard & Pat"
Gmschuler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Edmonds

Post by Gmschuler »

It was a great time in Roche Harbor. Sunday afternoon we went to Friday Harbor. Let's just say do I have some stories for you.....another time.
Stephanie and I will be out of town until August 1st. So I will be doing my video after that. If any of you would like to send me any digital pictures please send them to gschuler(at)gowfire.com

I think we forgot to take a formal (or informal) group shot. Just send me what you have.
Have a great July.
Greg & Stephanie Schuler
2002 31 TE
Blue Heron
Port of Edmonds
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

As many know, we continued North after the rendezvous. Right now we are in The Broughtons,tied up in Sullivan Bay. This is a spectacular location, several huundred miles North of Vancouver. "Coolchange" (Tim) is here as well in his 27 Family Cruiser.

The trip started out with some very high winds which made crossing Georgia Strat challenging. But we got across as the winds abated and have gone up the Sunsine Coast, through Desolation Sound, transited the rapids (Yaculta, Gillard, Dent, Greene Point, and Whirlpool). Spent one night in Blind Channel, then on to Port Harvey (rough day - 35 knot wind at one point).

Weather really has improved. We spent two nights at Echo Bay, before a lovely cruise up to Sullivan. We saw a school of about 75 porpoises hunting (and catcing) salmon. What a sight!

Google these locations including the "rapids.". This is NW cruising at its finest!

Great formula = go to the PNW Rendezvous, and then cruise on! Think about that for next summer.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Fourth Annual Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - 2014”