Sea Symphony A25 in Wales

Post some pics of your Albin
Sea Symphony
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Home Port: Neyland Pembrokeshire

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:51 am

Sea Symphony spent a month in Neyland Marina over Christmas.
d1a.jpg
d2.jpg
And whilst she was there I installed her new helm station:
d1.jpg
Just need the weather to improve!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Fantastic job on the helm station and the whole boat looks very well taken care of. :D
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Sea Symphony
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks, Russell.

The camera does lie a little as here in Wales we get so much rain that everything goes green - even those new plastic fishing boats so loved in these parts! So there is quite a bit of grime that needs to be got off.

She is half way through a re-fit. Just relined both cabins. Heads next. When the weather improves and it stops raining she'll have a full exterior repaint. Need to arrange new canvas, and fit an electric anchor winch. Aim is to have everything done by April.

Then maybe I can enjoy her in the glorious sunshine we occasionally get here.

Mike.

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:12 pm

From the 'other side of the pond': I'm a fellow A25 owner home ported in Peoria, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix in the Southwest Desert where on average we get only about 7 inches (~18 cm) of rain per year. Yes I agree with the other comments, your instrument panel is very smart looking. Would love to do something like that. My boat has a Yanmar 3GM30F engine with the standard Yanmar instrument panel, that is tachometer with "idiot" warning lights and buzzers for oil pressure, coolant temperature, and alternator, but no gauges. Also I like your anchor arrangement with windlass. We have a similar Bruce anchor on a roller, but previous owners installed a bow pulpit that besides being through bolted they used permanent 3M 5200 adhesive so it's practically impossible to remove. And as such, in addition to a Samson post and manual sheet winch that was installed there's not enough room for an electric windlass.

Perhaps we should think about working out some sort of boat exchange and vacation swap? Our boating seasons are the reverse of colder climates, that is fall, winter, and spring are the best for boating in Arizona. Summer is too hot to boat locally (43* C) on our nearby man made desert lakes, so we hitch up the trailer & tow with our Dodge Ram diesel pickup and head for cooler climes. In 2014 we went up to Bellingham, Washington in the Pacific NW at the far NW corner of the US (2,790 km each way from Arizona) and spent 4 weeks in the San Juan Islands on the US side and 2 weeks in the Gulf Islands on the Canadian side. We hope to go back there again this coming summer and push farther North to Desolation Sound. Last summer in 2015 we went East to the Erie Canal in New York State, and on to New England for a week in Rhode Island, and thence drove down to Delaware and Maryland for 2 weeks and 300 NM on the Chesapeake Bay and 35 miles up the Nanticoke River into Delaware. Road distance for that trip was over 9,200 km round trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Need to arrange new canvas...
We replaced our canvas last year before our East Coast trip, except we did all our own sewing with Sunbrella canvas. There's a great website by a company in Indiana called "Sailrite". In addition to selling machines, supplies, canvas etc online, they have a series of how-to videos. If you had the time & room to work, you could save a lot by doing it yourself. Of course you'd want to buy materials domestically in the UK, but their how-to videos teach all the tricks of the trade.

http://www.sailrite.com/

For example, because of heat and UV exposure, we wanted sunscreens and plenty of ventilation. So we incorporated Phifertex vinyl mesh screen for the back and side windows instead of vinyl windows.

In order to also be able to completely close off the openings, we adapted this method of adding closing flaps:

http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-C ... over-Video

Since our boat spends a lot of time stored outdoors in Arizona's blistering desert sun, we didn't want exposed vinyl windows to yellow and crack with age. But what to do when it rains and you want to see out? Our solution was to make detachable vinyl windows that velcro from the inside. The Phifertex mesh screen is permanant, so there's always some privacy screening. And we made it so both the sides and rear can unzip and be rolled up completely.

If you look closely at the pictures in my previous post you'll notice a difference in the wheelhouse roof between 2014 photos and 2015 photos. When we bought this boat in March, 2014 it came with an opening plexiglass hard top. In late 2015 after returning from the San Juans I made a new foam cored fiberglass layup hardtop with a pair of 18" X 18" opening teak hatches.

This hardtop is 100% watertight when the hatches are closed, and good ventilation when open. The windows in the center of the hatches are tinted acrylic plexi
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 pm

Final thought, speaking of the San Juan Islands, in a bit of obscure history, as part of a bloodless boundary dispute on the Northwest border with Canada that came to a head in 1859 with an incident that came to be known as "The Pig War, the British Royal Marines, along with three Royal Navy frigates, occupied a portion of San Juan Island known as "English Camp" for 12 years. US troops occupied an encampment of their own on the other end of the island, which was in more primitive conditions than the Royal Marines' camp.

The kicker is that that when Canada went from being a colony to the Dominion of Canada in 1871, the US & UK agreed to submit the matter to arbitration, which was ruled in favor of the US. The chief arbitrator was non other than Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm II of WWI fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War

The site of the English Camp on Garrison Bay along with restored/replica buildings just South of Roche Harbor is now a National Historic Park where the Union Jack is flown every day.

We happened to visit one day near closing time and helped lower and fold the large Union Jack. Unlike the US custom of tri-folding the Stars & Stripes, British custom is to use a simple rectangular fold.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Sea Symphony
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks DesertAlbin736 for those replies.

Your work looks great and I certainly intend to replace the cover over the pilot station with a hard top and hatch at some point.

We have a really good cover maker on site and I am not sure I would ever find the time to do it properly! Good ideas, though, so thanks.

Our anchor system is good but could be better as a previous owner installed the bow roller to the side rather than directly at the bow which would have meant relocating the deck water filler. The windlass is therefore at an angle. I am changing this and have just bought an electric Lewmar winch. The bow roller will be changed/moved to sit at the bow and I will move the water filler to one side. Just need a free weekend to do that!

Nice to see some blue skies in your photos. It doesn't always rain here - here are some from the summer:
IMG_0657 (1).jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0650 (1).jpg
Since they were taken I have removed the guard rails that had been installed incorrectly and the VHF aerial that you would trip over as it was installed at deck level. Plenty of jobs to keep me going!

Mike

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 pm

And about that vacation swap/boat exchange? :wink: I've never been to England or Europe myself, but my wife has, as has her children & grandchildren (from previous marriage) and she loves it & wants to go back again someday before we get too old. With a stop to visit Highclere Castle of course, we being Downton Abbey fans.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Sea Symphony
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:18 am

Vacation swap/boat exchange! Sounds great, if only time allowed!! As well as the day job, we run two holiday rentals here in West Wales so are sadly tied to the area for most of the year, and our holidays are long weekends when we can grab them.

We are about 3 hours drive from Highclere but have never been ourselves. The geography of Downton we find quite amusing with them "going up to London" for the day supposedly from North Yorkshire.

If you make it over to the UK and as far west as West Wales (it is worth it for the scenery) then you'd be very welcome to a day on Sea Symphony.

We have had a few visitors from the USA at our cottage, and my wife has enjoyed talking to them about the challenges of gardening which is her passion here at Pen Y Garn and Pen Y Garn Cottage. This is the cottage terrace in summer:
P8060289.jpg
Mike

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:56 pm

Wow, what a beautiful flower garden! Must be very pretty there. I hope we do get to make a trip to UK someday, though it won't be this year since we're already committed to cruising British Columbia waters. But when we do, we'll have to look up your rental properties. We're retired, which gives us the free time to do all these long distance boating trips.

Here's our home in Arizona...
Home1.jpg
We came very close to losing our Bruce anchor during this club raftup. This lake is man-made, and was enlarged in the early 1990s when a new dam was constructed, which raised the water level and flooded additional land area. It's over 200 feet deep in places. But near the shore there are still a number of submerged desert trees just waiting to snag anchors. Overnight the wind changed direction and shifted the raft formation such that our anchor chain went slack and wrapped around a snag. Try as we might, even with grinding the sheet winch on the bow, it just would not budge. We were lucky this time because another club member was also a scuba diver and had his tanks along. He dove on our anchor and freed it up, otherwise we would have had to cut our rode and it would still be on the bottom in 40 feet of water.
highres_437039591B (1024x768).jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

DCatSea
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Home Port: Deale MD

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:15 pm

I can vouch for West Wales, have family there and also in Llandudno. Almost went AWOL in Betws-y-Coed; it's such great country.

Anyway, to business, DesertAlbin736, I am in process of wondering what to do with a hard shell dinghy on our A27, and was impressed with your solution in the pic of your freeing your anchor. Could I ask you for info. about your davit system, and possibly a photograph. It looks exactly like what I had in mind.
I am really enjoying seeing the pix of all the great work you are doing on La Dolce Vita, and reading about your trailering expeditions. I'd love to trail our boat, but that extra couple of feet makes a world of difference. (And we drive a Volkswagen, which further complicates matters :( )

Mike - I'm looking at a helm station upgrade/update and thought you did a spectacular job on yours - any tips or "don't do's"?

Best

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Zodiac 9' HP
Tribe 9.5 yak
Rockhold Creek, Deale MD

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:37 am

Could I ask you for info. about your davit system, and possibly a photograph.
Doug,

Our dinghy and Weaver Snap Davit system was all inherited from previous owners. The only addition I made was to add a pair of standoff bracket rods from Weaver.

Here's a shot looking from above...
DSCN1266.JPG
Here's looking at the dinghy, a 8 ft 2 in. Canadian made Boatex, "lowered away" but still attached to the davit hooks on the swim platform. In this position one can easily board the dinghy, stand up, and rig the motor without fear of tipping over. Then when you're ready to cast off, you just pull the latches free and off you go. Also visible in this picture is my home made outboard bracket. The stern rails are too shaky to support the weight of a motor, so I made this affair out of 2 X 4 lumber & screwed into the swim platform. Affords a handy place to stow a 2 gallon gas can.
turkeydayraftup1.jpg
This is another taken shot before I added the standoff rods & the motor stowage bracket.
DSCN1246.JPG
For long distance trailering I remove the dinghy and put it on a rack on the back of the truck. You can imagine the windage and stress on the hardware going down the highway at 60 to 65 MPH with the dinghy acting as a big drag chute. So I devised this "system" using a pair of folding metal sawhorses (castoffs that someone had thrown in the trash & I got for free) and 8 ft 2x4 ramp boards and rack added to the pickup. I set up these sawhorses and ramp boards and can single handedly transfer the dinghy to the truck and vice versa by lowering the dinghy onto the horses, flipping it upside down onto the ramp boards (which are carpeted) and slide the dinghy up onto the truck.

0427151555.jpg
Came in very handy when dinghying ashore in rough conditions from a mooring in Montague Harbor on Galiano Island in BC.
DSCN1610.JPG
DSCN1609.JPG
Steve
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

DCatSea
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Home Port: Deale MD

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for this. That's one nice looking rig you have there, and I am in awe of your OB support. I have just picked up a very sweet full sized swim step, which begs for Weaver davits and a couple of cleats. The addition of the stand-off rods is very nice, and I expect to be assembling a similar rig once the saran wrap comes off in about a month(More of that darned snow expected this week in DC).

I have a few things to do before we set off cruising at the end of the year, in additional to regular maintenance and updating the electrical systems (and keeping 2 15-year old grandsons busy - they are coming over from the UK in August - a good cleaning crew for Mazboot and any fish unfortunate enough to fall for my lures :D ), so I'm sure I'll be picking the combined AOG brain again fairly soon.

If you head east this year, you and La Dolce Vita are most welcome in Deale, MD

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Zodiac 9' HP
Tribe 9.5 yak
Rockhold Creek, Deale MD

DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:12 am

Doug,
I'm sorry we missed a chance to meet last summer. We weren't far from Deale, made stops in Solomons, Cambridge, Oxford, Vera's on St. Leonard's Creek & & St. Michaels on our cruise from June 19 to July 8. We went the back way up San Domingo Creek from Cambridge to St. Michaels, so we didn't go out and around Tilghman Island.

This summer we hope to be back up in the Pacific NW.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Sea Symphony
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:58 am

DCatSea wrote:I can vouch for West Wales, have family there and also in Llandudno. Almost went AWOL in Betws-y-Coed; it's such great country.

Mike - I'm looking at a helm station upgrade/update and thought you did a spectacular job on yours - any tips or "don't do's"?

Best

Doug
Thanks, Doug.

Regarding the helm station, I just sort of "went for it"! On a previous boat I had, the instruments were mounted into a black material vinyl which I liked and when I came to do Sea Symphony I had some blue vinyl left over from previous boat refits so used that. The last owner(s) had just changed bits and pieces at the helm so it all looked a mess. I just plotted it all out on paper and made a mock up in plywood which I took to the boat, learned from this that some things were better relocated, then did the final board which I covered with the vinyl and mounted the instruments and switches. Got an online sign company to make the switch labels.

Good luck!

Mike

Return to “Pictures”

• Information