• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

fuel monitors

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

fuel monitors

Post by AlMar »

Would like feedback from anyone who has or has installed a fuel monitor for diesels. I had a NAVMAN unit on my last boat, but it was for Gas. I'd like to hear how hard it was to install, how accurate it was, and How much it cost. Thanks,
AlMar
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'll be watching this thread with great interest. I also had a Navman fuel monitor on my prior boat and I'd love to have one on my Albin.

I know that Navman now makes a diesel version (FUEL 3100), which I saw online for just over $800. I haven't heard any feedback on how well it performs.

Doug
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We're lucky in that our Caterpillar has a fuel consumption gauge built into it's LCD display, but I've read that FlowScans are not difficult to install.

However, with modern recirculating diesel fuel systems, it likely won't be accurate.
tomcat rio

i have a flow scan

Post by tomcat rio »

...seems to work okay
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Mariner wrote:We're lucky in that our Caterpillar has a fuel consumption gauge built into it's LCD display, but I've read that FlowScans are not difficult to install.

However, with modern recirculating diesel fuel systems, it likely won't be accurate.
My understanding (and part of the reason for the much higher cost) of the diesel systems is that they have two transducers, one reading the feed from the tank and a second reading the return. They then calculate the difference between the two to get the fuel burn.

After two experiences on my new boat with a plunging fuel gauge - thought I had plenty of fuel for a trip and halfway through the gauge dropped very quickly to near empty - this is a high priority item for me this off season. Since most of my boating is short day trips I'd rather not carry the weight of a full tank and a flowscan would greatly improve my confidence that I've got enough fuel on board for any given day.

Doug
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

MORE DATA

Post by AlMar »

My initial research shows I can get the NAVMAN 3200 for $639.00 or less. It is NOT usable on the Yanmar 315 as the return fuel rate far exceeds the capabilities of the unit. And at 600 bucks, I might keep using my bamboo stick till Christmas. I have read, but nort verified, that NAVMAN is no longer producing the unit. Anybody know the fuel rate of a Cat 3116?
AlMar
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

NavMan 3200

Post by AlMar »

From the Navman site:

Navman's diesel system has been designed to be installed and operate on most diesel engines in the 100 to 400 horsepower range. However, the key specification is the fuel flow rate through the engine (note: this is not the consumption rate).

For the system to work accurately, the flow in the supply pipe to the engine must be less than 400 litres (105.7 gal(US)) per hour.

The flow in the return pipe back to the tank must be more than 25 litres (6.6 gal(US)) per hour.

Ain't it great to have a forum to share this stuff! :D
AlMar

Return to “Albin Maintenance”