• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2001 Albin TE 300HP Yanmar

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
thirdrail
Gold Member
Gold Member

2001 Albin TE 300HP Yanmar

Post by thirdrail »

Well I just can't seem to win, my last post I was looking at a 1997 Albin TE with the Peninsular engine and after talking to Matt at Peninsular and determining this engine was one of the problem ones, I thought better of going through with the deal. I nexted looked at a 2001 with the 300HP Yanmar engine 500 hours and now find there was a problem with these engines also. Something about exhust valves dropping. From what I could research there was a class action suit which extended the warrenty on this engine to 8 years or 5000 hours. However this being a 2001 is no longer covered. Should I be staying away from this engine or is this not a big deal? Any info on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2001 Albin TE 300HP Yanmar

Post by RicM »

Once again, the search box (upper right corner) will yield a ton of info on this topic. The valve guides on the effected engines were redesigned and painted a different color so you can tell if the engine has been fixed or not. Yanmar paid for the fix, so most engines got repaired. Mac Boring can tell you the status of this motor with the serial number. If it has not been fixed you have to figure about $1000 to do the job. Once changed out, the engine is EXACTLY the same as the current 315 Yanmar that is in most of the boats after 2002. The fact that this engine may have the bad guides only effects it's FUTURE reliability, if they have not yet failed, they are not damaging the engine. When they do fail the last valve drops into the cylinder and Kabang! it's very ugly. There are no free lunchs in these boats, most sellers know what they are worth, and if the price seems low there will be a reason. you have run into 2 of the most common reasons that a 28TE will be on the lower end of the price range. Not to be personal, but..if you are pressing to afford this boat you may want to look for something in a lower price range. It's much better to buy a boat you can easily afford, because boating ain't cheap. The price of admission is just the beginning.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
thirdrail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by thirdrail »

Thanks for the reply Ric, it is not that I am cheap nor not aware of what boating costs as I have owned for 20 years now, 4 different boats. I have never owned a diesel, but know the replacement of these engines can be $25,000 or so. I am not looking to buy a problem boat/engine especially one that has a potential catastrophic failure pending no matter what the price. Thanks for the info and I will do as you recommend to search the board.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Indeed you have uncovered two ghosts in the Albin closet.

The Class consists of all persons or entities who as of March 15, 2007, are current or former owners of Yanmar 6LP or 6LPA series engines manufactured by Yanmar between September 1996 and February 1, 2002, specifically including those which a) have a model designation of 6LP-STE, 6LP-STZE, 6LPA-STE, 6LPA-STZE, 6LPA-STP or 6LPA-STZP and b) bear a serial number in the range of 50101-53988 or M50001-51195.

Try this link http://www.yanmarsettlement.com/
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

It's much better to buy a boat you can easily afford, because boating ain't cheap. The price of admission is just the beginning.
:lol: :lol: Where were you 30 years ago when I bought my first used boat? You just made me realize that I spent the same amount of money on my auto pilot w/ installation that I paid for my first boat. :roll:
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The issue is that the too tight clearance on the valve seals does not allow sufficient lubrication for the #1 cyliner exhaust valve. The valve guide gets coked up with carbon and the valve gets "sticky" in the guide. Eventually the #1 cyl exhaust valve will hang up and get kissed by the piston. The replacement seals are green in color. How the boat is propped (loaded) and ran and other factors will either expedite or delay this but it will show up at some point.

Unless you can get the valve seals replaced at the sellers expense or Yanmar's expense before you close, take the assumption that they will NOT be covered by Yanmar and have the price reduced. As far as the dollars, there are two options. In some cases, the head gets pulled and sent to Mack Boring to be reworked with the new seals or the head is replaced with one already reworked. This is a $4K to $5K job. The timing belt is likely due (5yr/1000hrs) so this is the time to get that swapped out too. The other option, with a top notch local Yanmar mechanic, is to just take apart the overhead valve components, de-carbon the valve stems and guides and replace the seals with the head in place. This should be able to be done for under $1,500. But, drop a valve into the chamber and then the head must come of...

The deciding factor is if there is a possibility that the #1 exhaust valve is starting to stick and has already made contact with the piston at some point. In this case the valve could be damaged and then the head may, or may not, need to be pulled.

At time of purchase my 2000 6LP was not making the valve noise but was a problem era engine. So I knew at the least I would do the seals in place. I hung tough with the broker/seller and got another $5K off the already "semi" agreed purchase price. We had agreed to a price pending the seller gets Yanmar to agree to cover the replacement of the seals. November was already here and this process was not going well or timely so I said either discount the boat another $5K or enjoy her for the winter.

My engine had 450 hrs and was not making the noise, yet. So my seals were done without pulling the head. The #1 cyl exhaust valve was noticibly sticky comapred to how the others moved in their guides. But she was cleaned in place and all of the exhaust seals were replaced. That was 240hrs ago and she's been perfect (K.O.W.). Time for the 250hr adjustment.

Does she fall within the 8yr timeframe for coverage? If so, be prepared that MB/Yanmar will do whatever they can to NOT cover the seal replacement. However, it is possible they will. Hope this helps

BTW, I guess you determined that it has the original seals? Suprised to hear this as I would have thought anyone with this era motor would have had it corrected either as preventative or as a repair after failure.

2 Questions:
1. Where is the boat?
2. Is it making the valve noise (on deceleration after hard running) ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Thirdrail,

I'm sorry if I offended, I in no way meant to imply you were either cheap or inexperienced! On the contrary, if you are chasing an Albin 28 you are a man of highly discerning taste and excellent judgement. My point is that the boats in the lower 10% of the Albin (or any other boat) price range are most likely going to have some pretty major problems that the current owners are well aware of. The real danger in boat buying is the seller who is unaware of, or willfully concealing a major defect. A buyer who has overpaid, and finds they do not have sufficient means to deal with the unexpected, then has a terrible dilemma, holding a boat they can neither use nor afford to fix, and comes to the conclusion that boating is a ripoff, only for the wealthy etc etc.
After searching for a boat myself and then following the market as prices and demand for boats has dropped, my observation is that Albin 28 TE's are most often fair to overpriced (we all love our boats). There are very few real bargains out there. Sea Rays? Different story.....
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

On the contrary, if you are chasing an Albin 28 you are a man of highly discerning taste and excellent judgement.
Are you sure your not a politician? :lol:

Thirdrail,
Check out the for sale section. A dealer just slipped in a nice looking 96. Very good description and pictures. Get a reliable surveyor.
John
thirdrail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by thirdrail »

Rick, No offense taken and I appreciate any adivce to head me in the right direction. I am new to diesels and do not want to begin with a lemon as my first one. Everyone, I speak with regarding diesels rates the Yanmar high. Just my luck the one I happen to be looking at has this issue.

John, Thanks for the info and link to the website.

Rob, Thank you for the detailed and extremely clear explanation of this issue and my options. The orginal owner states he knew nothing about this issue and has never heard strange noises when decelerating. I am taking it for a sea trial Saturday, if I can reduce the cost of what I have already offered. I am going to try and attempt to split the worst case scenario cost with him. The boat is in White Water Marine in Sayville
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Are you sure your not a politician?
John, one thing I've learned is that 98% of the unpleasantness in life could be avoided if only someone would say "I'm sorry" early in the process.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

RicM wrote:
Are you sure your not a politician?
John, one thing I've learned is that 98% of the unpleasantness in life could be avoided if only someone would say "I'm sorry" early in the process.

Good point.
John
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Whitewater huh?
Actually they brokered my 31 te. Contact me if you would like to know my experiences with them. If you need a Great survey please call Steve Maddock of Maddock Marine Services631 728-7970. He is professional, thorough, & will go through every issue for you.. he will work for YOU!
Please mention 'Mahalo"
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
thirdrail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by thirdrail »

Hello All,
Well I can actually say I am now offically a proud Albin 28 TE owner, 2001 white hull and Yanmar engine. I took delivery yesterday. I was able to work out the valve seal issue in which he picked up the cost to replace the seals and to change the timing belt. I am sure I am going to have many questions regarding maint.,repairs and replacement parts as I go through the boat and hopefully the albin experts on this board can help. Thanks
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My wife was in Sayville yesterday and last night she said, "Hey that Albin at WW is gone I wonder if the LIRR guy at AOG bought it" I said no it's probably still in the water from the sea trial. Once again, she was right...

Congrats & Enjoy!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Thirdrail,
Congratulations! Yanmar, Cummins, Peninsular, or whatever. Your gonna love it! Post some pictures of your new ride.
John

Return to “New Member Introductions”