• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Still having starting issues.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Still having starting issues.

Post by Mariner »

I'm starting to think it's a bad starter solenoid, but I really can't be sure. Several times I've had it happen where I go to start the boat and nothing happens. I hear a click from the starter and that's it. I've generally associated it with battery or electrical problems but I'm starting to think it might be localized to the engine.

This weekend it happened and I tried jumping across the terminals on the solenoid. This caused it to spin the starter, but not to engage the teeth. After doing this I returned to the helm to attempt to start it as usual and it fired right up. Does this sound like a starter or solenoid problem to anyone else? I hate to spend a few hundred dollars and several hours of labor if it isn't the problem, but I guess it can't hurt, right?
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Not that it is the right way to do things but I have the starter rebuilt every three years no matter what. Brushes and contacts, bearings etc. get corroded from the marine environment and it is just not worth messing around with. With a single engine, if you have a problem, you can't just pull to the side or the road.
The problem could be either, so you might as well eliminate all areas that could cause the trouble. Denis
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Dennis,

I guess it wouldn't hurt to pull it and have it gone over. And a backup starter and solenoid would probably be a good idea to have aboard.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
What did you find out about the starter? Was it that?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Since making this thread it has not happened again and until it does, I'm not inclined to worry about it.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

<smile> Intermittent problems! It won't happen again until you really need it.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Bingo. That's always the way it is!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”