• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

House Battery Bank - AGM???

Kokomo

House Battery Bank - AGM???

Post by Kokomo »

Has anyone added a house battery bank to an old 43 trawler?

Now we have 3 - 4D AGM batteries as starter batteries. I am thinking about trying to use them as house batteries and get Truck or Heavy Equipment Starting batteries for the Lehmans and generator.

I don't know if that's a good Idea or where the best location for the additional batteries.

We would like to configure Kokomo as an "On The Hook" boat.

Any advice???

Thanks

Jim
westrivertrawler

Re: House Battery Bank - AGM???

Post by westrivertrawler »

Our 36' trawler has the house battery bank under the built-in settee in the main cabin. I believe the 43 has built-in seating of some sort in the main salon. Our bank consists of 4 "Deka" 6volt golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel for a total of 12 volts an over 600 amps (not sure about total amperage). We have a Heart inverter and really love that we can go almost a whole weekend on the hook without running anything. When I had to replace the batteries a couple years ago, the Deka's seemed to be the only battery I could find that would fit the height restrictions of the compartment. Additionally, a "box" was built to contain the batteries and potential leakage. I'll try to attach a picture. You will notice a lot of corrosion on the terminals; hence the replacement. The picture was mostly so I would know how to wire the new batteries, not necessarily to show the location. Good luck
Battery Bank two.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

On my 32 I have 3 banks of batterys & 2X2 battery switches. The way Albin wired them any bank or combination of banks can be used for any purpose hence there is no dedicated starting battery nor are there dedicated house batterys. The switches are located in a very convenient location so that when starting/running I am on all 3 banks. Right after shut down I select whichever bank or combo of two of them that I want keeping the 3rd one in reserve.

The genny has its own battery, of course.

I also have a 5th wheel trailer RV. For house power I am about to install a single 4D AGM.

Your 3 4D AGMs should do just fine. That gives you a total of about 640 amps hours @ 20 amp. Wired up like my 32, you should be just fine.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Kokomo

Post by Kokomo »

Veebyes and Westrivertrawler - Thanks so much for the thoughtful suggestions.

Westriver - when you stay out for the weekend are you running refrigeration?

Veebyes2 - Are AGMs all deep cycle or also starter batteries? I know lead acid batteries are considered one or the other based on the thickness of the plates but I don't know about
AGMs

Thanks so much

Jim
westrivertrawler

Post by westrivertrawler »

Yes, we have a small 12V DC/ 120V AC refer and an Ice Maker. One thing that helps us is that we have a propane stove/oven. Also, if we want hot water for a shower, then we must fire up the Genny.
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

great spot for the batterys!
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

I have a 4D starting battery for bank 2, and four golf cart batteries for the house bank. I have no generator, I have an inverter. I use all my appliances as I normally would and have enough juice to not have to charge for three days.

Of course I don't use electricity for things like coffee making, but I run all the lights and everything else as I want. The ice cream even stays hard.

I have never had to go beyond those golf cart batteries, the 4D has never been relied upon.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

AGMs have the good attributes of the wet cell & gel cell. They are fine for starting & hold their voltage till near discharge like the gel cell & rapidly accept a charge like the wet cell.

Boaters go nuts over batteries. "Gel cells are not for starting", so 'they' say. Try telling THAT to my 10 year old gel cells in my 32 which do everything.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
VA3MRJ
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Barber Marina Orange Beach Alabama

Post by VA3MRJ »

My 43 has a 24 volt AGM for the fridge, bow thuster and windlass, then four six volt Trojan T 105's for the house bank and a single 12 volt for the generator, all installed in the engine room. Two charging circuits with smart regulators for both 12 and 24 volt systems. Has an 8000 watt invertor but rarely use it.
I plan on expanding the six volt with two more T 105's and two solar panels. The goal is five days at anchor without running engine or generator.
David and Brenda
43 Albin

Return to “36/37/40/43”