• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil and Fuel pumps; a few questions

Boatmon

Oil and Fuel pumps; a few questions

Post by Boatmon »

I was recently been told about small pumps used for draining the oil out of the sump of diesel engines. This is not the "in the dipstick" type oil changer. This is a small pump that is connected with fuel line or flexible copper, to the sump in place of the drain plug. There is a small ball valve just ahead of the pump to prevent accidential draining. To change oil, run the engine for a few minutes to reduce the viscosity, secure engine, open sump valve turn on pump and wait. Secure pump, shut valve, change filter, add oil...

In this same conversation fuel priming/bleed pumps were discussed. This fellow has a small in-line fuel pump (5-7 psi) just before the Racor filter. After Racor and fuel filter changes he bleeds the fuel system by momentarily running this (12V DC) electric pump, and his theory is that if the fuel pump on the diesel ever quits that this will allow the engine to run until repairs can be made

Has anyone used either of these types of systems? in theory they both sound great, I'm just wondering about the feasability and reality.

Any in-put would be welcome.
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Oil and Fuel pumps; a few questions

Post by jakevr »

ive used the fuel pump system, it works well.. and i had a lift pump go bad and actually needed it. about 75 miles from home
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have both an electric fuel pump in line and an oil change pump. The oil change pump is not hard mounted. It will drain the oil via a hose mounted to the drain plug in about 2 minutes or less....even with stone cold oil.
The brand is "oil-x-changer and it;s a simepl impeller style pump similar to a jabsco water puppy. I have actually seen what looks like the identical pump in Northern Tool and at my local ACE store. I paid close to $100, those other stores sell theirs for about $50.
Fuel pump picture
fuel system.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

The original owner installed a system that uses the oil pump in the engine to pump out most of the oil. There's a little hose connected to the oil pump, you start the engine, warm up a bit, then, open the valve on a little hose and pump most of the oil into containers at idle. Of course you have to leave 4 quarts which are easy to deal with as a standard automobile type oil change container fits under the engine.

Seems like a really bad idea. But it works very well.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

I guess that I would be very leery of draining engine oil while its running, that just seems like a recipe for disaster. Don't you think?
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

Boatmon wrote:I guess that I would be very leery of draining engine oil while its running, that just seems like a recipe for disaster. Don't you think?
That was my first impression, but it is a commercial product (I have the paperwork that came with it) it's not something untested. It really works well with a diesel which holds a lot of oil. You have to be aware of how much you start with and how much you remove, which is easy using two liter soda bottles.

I've used it many times and have to admit it really makes changing oil easy, and it does not add a lot of "stuff."

Return to “36/37/40/43”